Scandia 450hp D-9

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Any opinions on this engine? I don't see many around so maybe parts and service are a concern?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
This is all up for speculation...

When I am on our government ship we have Cat come on about every 3 months to do service work. Federal gov't uses them to put our work and maintenance in check. So after a few trips I really get to know the guys. We were bullshitting as they do a lot of small boat works and one guy is also certified with Scania. While we were over in the MED, almost every launch we used had Scania's which was the talking point. He said he liked them and didnt comment negatively on them. He says, if you need any part for them, to just give him a call but not to call him in about two or three years as they see them being carried less and less.

I say one in a BHM a little while ago I think it was in CT/RI. That is why I started talking with him again. Just a little tidbit.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Thanks Shawn! That BHM is the reason for the question and apparently Port Niantic is a dealer. Only Scania I've heard of around here..

Drakes

Lieutenant
I had the original Scania 9 ltr 450 horse Scania in the area Gary Bruce sold it we put 13000 plus hours on it before we had a catastrophic loss. We replaced it with a 430 6cta cummins because I couldn't find a replacement Scania anywhere and the injection pump was over 10000 when all said and done to fix and replace. It's a great engine a workhorse I would buy another in a second

Drakes

Lieutenant
Also parts are readily available through Mack Boring Diesel direct or Bayside diesel in Mystic. Very simple mechanical engine also sounds real nice

Drakes

Lieutenant
Nope, Mack Boring will come out and service them, they are so simple though that anyone can do the work, anyone meaning a diesel mechanic, they are a basic motor, no tricks to them at all

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Capt. Mark marose(boat name capt. Mark) in montauk has twin 450 scanias in his 39 bhm. Currently has 8000hrs on them and had nothing negative to say about them as well. You could give him a ring about them, as he is a full time charter captain. I was just out fishing with him this past sat in some rough weather. I did notice they never skipped a beat.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Thanks John! Someone told me that VW bought Scania so maybe they will expand their dealer network to more than 1 in CT :D

working girl

Lieutenant
Boat Make
36 wayne beal
I have a 485 hp scania, installed 2001 got 3800hrs in a 36beal,,motor is bullit proof, wouldn't trade it for anything,,,mack boring nj and bayside RI is the best,

Artemis

Lieutenant
Boat Make
1960's powerboat
Any opinions on this engine? I don't see many around so maybe parts and service are a concern?

Scania D9 has been out of production since 2005 however have no worries. Robust engine, is as simple as a wheelbarrow to work on with zero vices. Use simple to source Fleetguard filters and life will be good.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Lots of good input on this engine here. Much appreciated! If my boat sells soon I will definatly look into it!

procryer

Lieutenant
scania 450hp d19

I have a 450 scania in my 36 osmond. 8 years in service, not a stich of trouble.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom