Scandia 450hp question

fishybusiness

Lieutenant
Website
www.northwindcharters.net
Boat Make
2520 Parker sport cabin
I am interested in knowing more about these engines. On average how many hours do you get out of them? I know that it depends on the RPM that the engine is ran at daily, but just saying it is ran at a moderate RPM what do you think they should go in hours? This particular engine is in a 36' Crowley Beale and has about 7000 hrs. I know there are lots of variables like maintenance, but lets just say it has good maintenance records also. Moreover, are parts hard to get for these? Thanks.....

Hazletalan

Ensign
Boat Make
35 Maine Coaster
Fishy Business,
I have heard of a few with over 14000 hours on them. I do have a friend who worked a 9 liter with 9000 hours and had nothing but good things to say. Very simple and easy to work on. I know that Mack Boring in NJ carries the Scania line and their parts department is great if you need something. I cannot comment to price of parts as I do not know. If you give Mack Boring a call, they could probably tell you about parts and availability. They are very nice people and always have been willing to answer my questions. Hope this helps!

Hooper

Captain
I believe that is the model being used in the TowBoatUS on Bass River run by Bill Coughlin, I also believe he is a member on here, maybe a lurker, not sure. Bill runs a 35' Duffy low shear and repowered that boat at least 12 years ago with a Scania and he loves it. I have not heard him say a bda word about the engine. Wish I could give you firsthand information, that's the best I have. He loves the engine, very good on fuel and it moves out bigtime.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I was looking at a BHM with the same engine last spring. All I got was good feedback on it. The boat was in poor shape for the $$ so I did not make an offer. Call Bayside Diesel in Mystic Ct they are a Scania dealer.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I am interested in knowing more about these engines. On average how many hours do you get out of them? I know that it depends on the RPM that the engine is ran at daily, but just saying it is ran at a moderate RPM what do you think they should go in hours? This particular engine is in a 36' Crowley Beale and has about 7000 hrs. I know there are lots of variables like maintenance, but lets just say it has good maintenance records also. Moreover, are parts hard to get for these? Thanks.....
They are good dependable motors. 7,000 hrs is high, however you need to find out just how many gallons of fuel was burned during those 7,000 hours. Once you determine the amount of fuel burned you can then get the average fuel burn and see just how hard of a life that motor has had. Also did the motor ever take an over heat during those 7,000 hours. overheating is also a big factor in what life is left in that engine.

jojobee

Commander
They are nice engines and we have some great dealers out there. Wesmac is putting one in currently.

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
I beleave all the high hp Yanmars are Scania base motors with a splash of Yanmar.

working girl

Ensign
Boat Make
36 wayne beal
I have aScania 485hp in a 36 WB 4500hrs,[email protected]@14gph,,,tops out at 21.5 rpm,,can't beat them long stroke motors,,no smoke or sut yet,mack boring is great but parts are pricey,,,,good luck

Top Bottom