Scupper heights off the water line.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Hello ALL,

Thinking about my "virtual DE build" I've been giving some thought to the depth of the cockpit floor in the boat.

Ideally my build will have a deeper cockpit than a " traditional work/lobster" boat.

Other than raising the shear of the hull an a couple of inches I can drop the cockpit floor a couple of inches taking into consideration clearance for fuel tank tops and mufflers.

Ideally I'd like the "lowest cockpit floor the hull will take" without running the risk of having the scuppers flood the cockpit with a "heavily loaded boat".
I can't lower the cockpit floor below the water line of course :eek: but I figure I can safely lower the floor and inch or two in "most DE hulls"

OK, so the question is....."how does a builder set the scupper heights on the hull" ?

Is the a "rule of thumb".

Here's a few pics of the "variations in heights".

btw, I took the liberty of posting boat pics from this forum. All beauties! :D fine

32 Wayne Beal hard chine 7.jpg

32 H&H.jpg

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

33 Flowers stern shot.jpg

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Clearing ports

Scuppers are drains that go under the floor and are connected via hoses to outlets that drain outside the vessel. They are used in sailboats.

The height from the water to your scupper will be based more on where your cockpit sole is in relation to your waterline. A higher sided vessel will naturally have higher clearing ports than it's low-sided counterpart when the relation of the cockpit soles are the same from the washrail down.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Clearing ports

Scuppers are drains that go under the floor and are connected via hoses to outlets that drain outside the vessel. They are used in sailboats.

The height from the water to your scupper will be based more on where your cockpit sole is in relation to your waterline. A higher sided vessel will naturally have higher clearing ports than it's low-sided counterpart when the relation of the cockpit soles are the same from the washrail down.

OK, "clearing ports"....never heard them called that here on this forum :rolleyes:, but ok........."clearing ports":D

I'll ask the question this way.

"In each of the hulls I posted here", using your "eyes", how much "lower"
do you think the "clearing ports" could be lowered in "each hull".

Just a guess ?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
We didnt even have scuppers on my last boat. We had two ports on each side with splash guards. They look crooked but the boat has no load on in this photo so she is sitting stern high

Doublevisionedited.jpg

Last edited:

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
ok, "clearing ports"....never heard them called that here on this forum :rolleyes:, but ok........."clearing ports":d

i'll ask the question this way.

"in each of the hulls i posted here", using your "eyes", how much "lower"

Just a guess ?

freeing ports

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
OK, "clearing ports"....never heard them called that here on this forum :rolleyes:, but ok........."clearing ports":D

I'll ask the question this way.

"In each of the hulls I posted here", using your "eyes", how much "lower"

Just a guess ?

To lower them you would have to pocket the area on the deck or gutter the edge of the deck

29chawk

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31' morgan
I wouldnt ever lower a deck, standing in a puddle of water sucks, my old boat a 29 c-hawk had a deck about 3'' above the water line in calm water but when offshore drifting with weight onboard the deck didnt drain well and puddled up. if your concerned about not having enough freeboard height then build up some boards on the washrails.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Latest Posts

Top Bottom