scupper valve recommendation?

MAArcher

Commander
Right now my little 19' skiff has two one inch brass scuppers. Rather than having to plug them up when I launch the boat off the trailer, I'm wondering if there's a good one way scupper valve I could replace them with? They also take on water when I'm ass backwards to the waves (not sure what the correct nautical term is for that). Do these just mount over the hole that's there? WEST MARINE Scupper Valve | West Marine
Do they work well? I assume if the scupper is submerged, like when backing in a trailer and the bow is still on the trailer forcing the stern into the water, that they still would allow some water in? I'm surprised there isn't some sort of simple mechanical valve that you could operate from a switch at the helm if you wanted.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Right now my little 19' skiff has two one inch brass scuppers. Rather than having to plug them up when I launch the boat off the trailer, I'm wondering if there's a good one way scupper valve I could replace them with? They also take on water when I'm ass backwards to the waves (not sure what the correct nautical term is for that). Do these just mount over the hole that's there? WEST MARINE Scupper Valve | West Marine
Do they work well? I assume if the scupper is submerged, like when backing in a trailer and the bow is still on the trailer forcing the stern into the water, that they still would allow some water in? I'm surprised there isn't some sort of simple mechanical valve that you could operate from a switch at the helm if you wanted.
It's very hard in small boats to make the deck self bailing. You really need to design the whole boat around a margin of error, make the sheer higher than seems required so the deck can be set high enough etc.. etc.. Most manufacturers/builders seem to use a "sunny day" scenario when estimating how much waterline might change and the end result are scuppers below the waterline.

If your scuppers are too close to the waterline it's hard to turn your back on the boat without it potentially sinking, ie tie it up so the stern is to the current for an an hour and it potentially floods and rolls over.. You can plug the scuppers but the problem is without a way for water to drain then you still can't turn your back on the boat for long as rain water can still fill the deck and potentially roll around causing the same problem.

Here's what I would do - put a couple drains in the deck, the same size as the scuppers, so that you can plug the scuppers and use a bilge pump to pump the water out - if you want the deck to self bail, plug the holes in the deck, if you want the bilge pump to take care of it then plug the holes in the transom. If you make them the same size you can use the same plugs.

Snake8

Lieutenant Commander
This is what you want:

Amazon.com : Replacement Boat Parts Flow-Max Ball Scupper : Boat Engine Spare Parts Kits : Sports & Outdoors

I had them on my Privateer which has a very low deck and was constantly wet before I rebuilt the deck. They dont stop all the water from coming in but they are much better than any flap scupper. They can clog especially if you haul traps but are easy top clean out in a small boat. If your scupper holes are only 1" you might consider making them larger, that seems pretty tiny to me.

leaky

Vice Admiral
My guess would be they made them 1 inch so they could take a standard bilge plug.

P18Flirt

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
Pointer 18 / BHM 28

MAArcher

Commander
Is there anyone who make a mechanical solution so that you could open and close scuppers from the helm?

novivin

Captain
Never heard of such a thing, but the ping pong ball type work very well in my Novi, which has a deck that is about 1.5” above the loaded waterline. There are extra wide diameter versions of them too, which I plan to use on my next replacement of the current ones since my fiberglass deck drains can handle more water than the standard small 1” ping pong ball drains ever allow to pass. The f/g layup pipe is over 1 1/2” diameter.

Cool Boat

Commander
1599497357856.png We used these on our Mako 17. Worked pretty well. This one is by TH Marine. Not sure the brand we used years ago but they hooked right into the existing holes. Our boat was trailered. If left in the water the comments above about the deck design are spot on. I pity the guys who live in sea lion country too. On a smaller boat a self bailing cockpit plus a sea lion is probably a recipe for sinking.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Is there anyone who make a mechanical solution so that you could open and close scuppers from the helm?
You are making it way over complicated. Simple thing is to just make it so the water drains into the bilge (or a little box in the bilge to catch crud) and plug them. This is common boat problem #xx, deck set too low. If you just gotta have a self bailing deck you could raise it. There are very few boats < about 22 feet where self bailing decks really work right, usually they are more of a liability.

Top Bottom