scuppers for 22 sisu

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
has any one tried retro fitting the thru hull drains in the transom,with scuppers that only let water out.so far, when i really want to keep water from entering, i use adjustable plumbing stops.this works,but is not the best set-up. just hoping that someone has come up with something that works.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
I have a SISU 22 and leave the scupper open without any door to prevent water coming in. The previous owner complained that the scupper let water in. My solution was to move some weight around and so far so good. No water on the deck when the boat sit at the dock.

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
when 2 or 3 heavy people are fishing in the back ,and there is a chop coming from the aft direction ,the water flows into the boat pretty good.its not bad in the summer,but when blackfishing in november,it just not good.at rest or not heavily loaded,there isnt an issue.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
OK, I do not take my boat offshore fishing. When we are offshore we are moving so it is not an issue. Do you have an inboard or outboard. I have a 115 4S outboard. I put 60lbs of lead in the in the forward storage area under the berth. It helps balance out the weigh of the 4S and keeps the boat dry at anchor. This might help you. If not try these from Hamilton Marine
http://http://store.hamiltonmarine....lve-round-2-7-8-diameter-102447-/4,17538.html

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
i have a yamaha 115hp 4 stroke .that in itself is probably heavier than the original engine.i see how your weight up in bow could help,but would rather not have to add weight though. i will check the other idea you have ,and thanks for your help

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
No worries let me know how it works out. I understand your hesitant to add weight. I would give it a try. You can use water to start. One gallon weight about eight pounds. I would start with six gallons and see if notice a difference. If not no harm no foul.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
What about those ping pong ball scuppers?
I have no experience with them, but am about to install them in an old 20 ft Robalo with a new heavyb4stroke 150. Will see how it goes.
That's a problem with the sisu 22
The floor can't be any higher otherwise the already disproportionately high house top would be even higher. Careless owners have had them sink at the dock/mooring here because of those scuppers.

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
i dont know how the ping pong ball type fare,but they sell a model that has 11/2 inch diameter opening,which looks decent.the only problem i see, is how to mount them without having to totally remove the existing transom drains

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
no, I have not.i guess Iam still trying to reinvent the wheel.the original owner , screwed a pvc connector from the outside into each transom drain.from there he fitted a 3 inch Salisbury rubber motor exhaust flapper over each connector with a s.s. hose clamp.the rubber flaps from the exhaust flap do not seal well. for a temporary fix, I am going to try a thicker uv resistant rubber for the flap this week. the flow max or rabud ball scupper might also also be a solution.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
JKPORTER

When you put that lead in your bow there...did you just put blocks or did you melt in up there? Do you have any pictures of how you did it?

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
My approach was very simple. I had a 65lbs lead block sitting in my driveway. I wrapped it in an old t-shirt and put in in the bow under the v-birth. It is not secured in anyway and has not moved at all in 3 years.

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
I bought a couple of the ping pong ball scuppers from Defender about 10 years ago that I used on my crab skiff. They went over the 1.5" scuppers and secured with 3 screws. They worked well for about a season. Then between all the shit, salt and UV from the sun, they weren't worth a damn the next year.

As for bow weight. If you don't have any lead laying around, For $5 an 80# sack of concrete works pretty good too. Just double up a couple of Hefty steel sack trash bags. pour in the dry concrete and place it where you need it. In a few days the moisture will get to the concrete and harden it to the contours of your boat.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
for weights try looking in the thrift shops/ salvation army stores for old dumbbells and weight lifting plates, cheap heavy and don't take up much space.

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
I still have concerns over the weight in the bow ,when running with a following sea ,or when waves are coming in from the aft starboard,or port side of the boat, I want the bow out of the water as much as I can.i don't think a bow heavy sisu is a good thing under those conditions. there is also the overall weight issue that I always am concerned with when it comes to fuel savings.also will a hundred pounds of weight in the bow really offset the weight of 600 pounds of gear ,and people?

chesboater

Ensign
Hi,

We have Rosborough seaskiff 22. It has scuppers with what look like ping pong balls in them. No water in the boat from back wash through the scuppers.

Hamilton Marine has them Flomax 167765

good luck

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
this past week I installed flow max scuppers onto the boats transom drains. yesterday I went fishing around block island with 3 people fishing in the back of the boat. a very small amount of water may have come onto the deck during the day ,but the new scuppers made a huge difference. all I can say is ,so far-so good ,and thanks to all that replied to my thread aweigh again

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
i got them at west marine,but i have seen them at hamilton marine,and on the internet.

Tangle

Ensign
Boat Make
22 Sisu , " East"
I have pvc pipe at floor level that take screw in caps. I can provide a photo if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom