Seacock Backing Plates / Alternate Method / No Through Bolts

raindropfx

Lieutenant
. ...that's a great site. ...used this method (from this site) when I had to replace a very botched thru hull last spring.. ...very helpful. ..

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Very pro install. I am a firm believe in backing blocks for all thru hulls, & Transducers, along with rod holders, bow rails & antenna mounts. You name & and a block. Even on side hull thru mounts I always like a backing.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Think I would have left more thread though to allow a double nut and washers etc. to allow a bonding wire connection. Also a lock washer or something seems like a good idea.

My hull is almost 1" thick and core has been removed around thru hulls. Think I need them?

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
I found this years ago, and spent the last 3 hours trying to find it in the bookmarks in the computer.
Compass Marine. has a wealth of pictures on How to Do's
Seacock Backing Plates / Alternate Method / No Through Bolts Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

WC1966, just went to the compass marine .com, beside the seacock backing plate being very good I continued on the site to hall of failures, specifically electrical, found a product to replace current shore power connections "smart plug". I have always been aware of corrosion and the resistance and subsequent problems that causes, but I take care of my connections and sleep well. long story short this smart plug is something I will purchase to replace my present (hubbel) connection, I think it is far superior to the present standards. last year a boat burned to the water in my marina from just such a corrosion issue, it's worth all on this site to look at, its not just a new fangled mouse trap, it could save your boat thanks oldshell55

Last edited:

Robo

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1985 31' BHM
Seacock replacement

I'm getting ready to replace thru hulls and seacocks on my Sisu. Will do the backing plate like the great post from oldshell55. Do you guys think Sudbury Elastomeric Marine Sealant is the way to go for bedding. Hate the thought of 5200 if I ever need to pull it apart again.

Robo

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
I'm getting ready to replace thru hulls and seacocks on my Sisu. Will do the backing plate like the great post from oldshell55. Do you guys think Sudbury Elastomeric Marine Sealant is the way to go for bedding. Hate the thought of 5200 if I ever need to pull it apart again.

Robo

wish i could take credit for that but it wasn't me, wc1966 posted it. I did find other good stuff on that site though about electrical

Top Bottom