Seahawk Barrier Coat Paints

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Hello all,

I know a few of you have used Seahawk paints and I've read Rampage88s thread when he did the bottom of his 32.

Milton up @ Hamiltons in Portland told me one "2 gallon kit" would be plenty of paint for two coats of barrier coat on my 25 T Jason. Does his estimate sound correct. Should I buy two "2 gallon kits" "just in case? I don't want to run short.

Also I plan on two coats of black water based anti-fouling after the barrier coat.
What do you figure....one gallon or two ?????

The bottom of the boat is bead blasted, clean and will be wiped with Acetone. The bottom feels nice and "rough" after the glass blasting last fall.

Thanks for any info,

Bill D

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
call mike taber, who is a new England sales rep for sea hawk. 781-820-6111. he can readily figure out how much you need. last week i bought sea hawk barrier coat, and ablatives for my sisu 22 at the annual defender warehouse sale in ct. mike helped a lot.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
The advice from Hamilton's sounds pretty good.

I've got an orange to tangerines comparison for you not apples to apples because I had used Interlux Interprotect on my 28 Albin.

With a roller, one gallon of InterProtect got me through one coat of coverage with very little to spare and I did 4 coats of barrier followed by two coats of ablative bottom. Using Micron Extra as bottom, with a roller I got 2 coats using less than one gallon. This lasted 2 seasons with touch-ups for season 3 and then she went on down the road and now sits in San Francisco Bay!

FWIW: I wished that I had done a tell tale bottom coat and not used the barrier as tell tale. It just seemed ashame that when the bottom wore and the barrier was exposed that I scuffed it before reapplying bottom. With 4 coats of barrier I suppose it didn't much matter.

A different animal, but here was my process after soda blasting while drinking all of the Interlux Kool-Aid. I worked my ass off:

1). washed the bottom w/Fiberglass Surface Prep/Mold Release to get any soda media out of the hull that was possibly embedded. The Surface prep sure did make a visual difference getting the slight white haze out
2). washed the bottom with soap and water & rinsed.
3). followed up sanding the entire bottom w/ 80 grit sand paper on a palm sander hooked up to a Hepa Vac.
4). washed the bottom with soap and water & rinsed.
5). Ragged any areas of imperfections w/202 Fiberglass Solvent Boat Wash
6). filled any imperfections with West Systems & micro-balloons let cure and sanded w/80 grit
7). ragged the entire bottom with 202 Fiberglass Solvent Boat Wash
8). applied 4 coats of InterProtect 2000E Barrier Coat alternating white, gray, white, gray …. 2 coats 1 day, 2 coats a few days down the road. (Interlux product update says that you can overcoat up to 6 or 7 months)
9). on the 2nd day of barrier coating after the last coat of barrier was thumb print tacky the 1st coat of anti-fouling was applied with a 2nd applied the following day.

Good luck Bill. You've taken on a pretty big project!

Fishinengineer

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Duffy
Bill, soda blasted then ground with 80 grit my 31 foot low sheer Duffy. Did two good coats all around then a partial third coat on what I felt could benefit from a little extra. This required two "2 gallon kits" with about a quart left over. Went on without a hitch.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Lot's of application tips and coverage info on their webiste. I plan on using this on my JC as well. If you want to calculate your bottom area I believe it's length x width x .85 = sq ft

Tuff Stuff High-Build Epoxy Primer

eztbone

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Holland 38
tuff stuff

Tuff stuff is great. I used it last year and applied 3 coats. Two the first day and one the second day and a transition coat of bottom paint when the tuff stuff cured to "thumb printable" (very important as that is the mechanical bond between epoxy and bottom paint). I used a black transition color and finished with two coats of red. I have used interprotect before and it is really good but it is much thinner than tuff stuff, ie more coats to achieve mil thickness. Tuff stuff also "went off" pretty fast in 50* weather last spring, so there is a good chance you can roll that second coat soon after you finish the first but make sure that final coat of epoxy and first coat of bottom paint is in the same day. Mike tabor is a good guy and very helpful and will probably offer to come by and help you. Good luck

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Spoke to Mike Taber today. Got the info I needed and where to buy.
Hamiltons Portland is better than 1.5 hrs. one way from Haverhill, Ma.

Mike told me Merri-Mar Yacht Basin in Newburyport, Ma. stocks the whole line.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Let us know how you make out coverage wise. By the numbers it should take a little more than 4 gallons to do 2 coats on my boat.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Let us know how you make out coverage wise. By the numbers it should take a little more than 4 gallons to do 2 coats on my boat.

between 3-4 gallons for my 25 footer I figure.

I'll be painting Sat/Sun so I'll know by the end of the weekend and posy here.

Also, because the 25 T Jason will be launched and hauled with a bunk trailer Mike suggested the CuKote for ablative bottom paint.

CuKote is a "bit harder" that Monterrey water soluble.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I would think 3 gals would do your 25. There's a good video on that link I posted. Good luck with the painting!

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
is seahawk barrier coating, and bottom painting outside in the 50 degree range alright, or should I wait for better weather?

eztbone

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Holland 38
sea hwk

Mike suggested using af33 as the transition coat as it is cheaper than kucote and is essentially used as a base and then I went over that with Cukote (2 coats) mixed with bioboost. The bottom was clean when I hauled last spring. Real happy with the product.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
I just talked with the guy who bead blasted the bottom of my 25 T Jason and Bill's 25 T Jason.

He uses a 40/70 grit glass bead in the hopper.

Seahawk calls for 80 grit.

Other than wiping down the bottom with Seahawk solvent I'm ready to go !

Latest Posts

Top Bottom