Sealing oak rub rails

fadetoblack188

Lieutenant
Ok so I should be finishing up on my new rub rails on my dory in the next few days. They are white oak. What would you recommend sealing them with to help with water damage?

I am probably going to just paint them to match the boat on top of the sealer . It’s a work boat not a show boat, but want them to last.

it’s suppose to rain for the next couple days so they are going to get wet before I seal them. Hopefully it isn’t an issue they get wet a few times haha

thanks

DBBE8DF0-0D7F-465E-9E8E-F7C3573942B5.jpeg

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
no epoxy.....UV turns it yellow.

White oak; i believe is very rot resistant. IDK what to cover with, if it even needs it. An oil maybe??? Hopefully someone will comment with better experience than me.

BTW, looks awesome!

NewEnglander

Lieutenant
First Name
Chris
no epoxy.....UV turns it yellow.

White oak; i believe is very rot resistant. IDK what to cover with, if it even needs it. An oil maybe??? Hopefully someone will comment with better experience than me.

BTW, looks awesome!
He said he was going to paint it.

jweir

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

fadetoblack188

Lieutenant
I used the west systems six 10 to mount the rails.

so I’ll use the 105 and probably 206 and paint the rails with it good. Then paint over it ?

how durable is the white oak if there was no sealant applied and just painted with rustoelum topside

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Aboard_Adventurer

Lieutenant
Epoxy and Oak aren't really great in combination...epoxy doesn't like to stick to it long term. Given the rot resistance of White Oak, I'd probably just put a good marine primer and paint over it. Doesn't need to be fancy, but I'd favor a 1 part polyurethane paint over rust-oleum only because the marine paints have far more solids in them than rust-oleum and will hold up infinitely better, especially in high wear applications. If it were me however, I'd get some teak oil and just oil the things and be done with it. When the oil starts to wear,you just wipe on more and go back to boating.

Cool Boat

Commander
If out in the weather all the time I highly agree with the paint, but NOT over epoxy. The oil finishes like Cetol will work too. Our wooden sailboat cockpit trim is white oak, epoxy sealed and urethaned, still looks incredible 3 years later, but is 100% covered. The varnish over epoxy wooden masts started looking poorly in year two and I had followup discussions with WEST folks. They are now painted. One part paint, touch it up when blemished or annually if worn, fast and easy! The bench picture is something I just refurbished for the wife. Old cast iron ends with new quarter sawn white oak slats. Finished it with linseed oil, (I had 20 gallons of it on hand). We expect it to darken over time and develop the patina of age, like me!
1617881826250.png

fadetoblack188

Lieutenant
Ok but if I oil it I won’t be able to paint it after right. I’ll go with a good marine primer and paint over it

thanks

fadetoblack188

Lieutenant
Also thinking. Between the wood rails is the boat. That’s exposed fiberglass would that cause an issue? Or it should seal with the primer

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Round them over , you will never get anything to stay on those sharp corners. I like spar varnish or paint over epoxy too.

Top Bottom