Sealing the wood in limber holes

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Curious,

I have to drill a couple of limber holes through the new stringer pieces on the 25 T Jason.

The limber holes on the old fir stringers were a simple 3/4" or 1" holes drilled and left the wood exposed.

When the old stringers were cut out to widen the the engine bed the exposed wood had absorbed quite a bit of water over the last 24 years.

How do you guys seal the wood grain inside a drain hole?

I can simply drill some holes and leave them "natural" and let the next owner deal with any structural issues "if any"......

but I like to do things more right than wrong.

Any suggestions?

Appreciated, Bill D

Gps98

Lieutenant
I know this is a few weeks old, but I recently did this on another boat and plan to do it on the transom of my old Chris craft. I drilled holes just large enough(forget actually size hole saw) to slide in a cut piece of 1" PVC the width of the stringer and embedded it with 5200.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
EEPPOOXXYY!!

Alternatively, paint with red lead, or cuprinol, or rust lock.
A few good coats of EPOXY barrier coat would be good too if you had some on the go.
You could smear with 5200, but that's a bit bush league, as it will only trap in any moisture that gets in ( and it will)

I would paint with epoxy, let cure, sand the prickly grain then paint with partially thickened epoxy.
The silver colored rust lock paint is also great. Dries fast and incredibly hard and is moisture cured incase the woods already damp.

Have also seen gps98s methods done with success too

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
EEPPOOXXYY!!

Alternatively, paint with red lead, or cuprinol, or rust lock.
A few good coats of EPOXY barrier coat would be good too if you had some on the go.
You could smear with 5200, but that's a bit bush league, as it will only trap in any moisture that gets in ( and it will)

I would paint with epoxy, let cure, sand the prickly grain then paint with partially thickened epoxy.
The silver colored rust lock paint is also great. Dries fast and incredibly hard and is moisture cured incase the woods already damp.

Have also seen gps98s methods done with success too

Epoxy was used

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
Here's Travis's resin impregnated paint roller idea.. Worked really well

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Travis, great idea...Bill, thanks for the picture.

Top Bottom