sealing windows

coddock

Commander
I have a couple of annoying leakers on my boat that need to be fixed. Consensus say that buytl tape is the answer. Best choice? Thickness? Best place to buy?

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
buytl tape

yes, I picked some up at a local glass supply they charged me $10 for the roll, probably can get it cheaper.

I'm a big fan of this stuff for any kind of bedding on the boat

comes in black and grey as far as I know 1/2" wide

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Just received a load of it from a glass shop online (whose name I cant remember) but I bought some 1/16" thick and some 1/8" thick to help[ work with little changes in the thickness of the walls of the boat. Never did it before either.

How about caulk after you cut the butyl flush?

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Just received a load of it from a glass shop online (whose name I cant remember) but I bought some 1/16" thick and some 1/8" thick to help[ work with little changes in the thickness of the walls of the boat. Never did it before either.

How about caulk after you cut the butyl flush?
Bingo, Toolate gets the brass ring, caulking the outer edges is the only way to go. Buytl tape is great stuff, will stick to almost everything with a minimum of prep but over time it will cold flow and creep out of the joint, caulking will stop this from happening.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
Bingo, Toolate gets the brass ring, caulking the outer edges is the only way to go. Buytl tape is great stuff, will stick to almost everything with a minimum of prep but over time it will cold flow and creep out of the joint, caulking will stop this from happening.

I didn't find that , and any that squeezed out during install I just trimmed with a razor blade for a very clean job, I think caulking would just be messy, there really shouldn't even be room to caulk, my windows have been in for 25 years, no leaks. I removed one and the buytl was like the day I put it in. I know of others who have used it to bed any fittings on the boat.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Of course I need to qualify this with my disclaimer "never did it before" but here is my thought/plan.

Install the butyl like this pic leaving just about 1/16" inside the edge of the outer window flange then caulk the top and sides (leaving the bottom open for drainage in case) but wipe the caulk back to the point where you almost dont see it, no big fillet or anything just fill the little space. Seems like the best of both worlds and just a tube of caulk and some acetone maybe an hour to add this step.

Purchased my windows from Wynne and they recommended some caulk but not a specific product.

Found this pic online.

image.jpg

Top Bottom