Seapiper 35

pilotdave

Ensign
Boat Make
Grand Banks Eastbay
Anyone hear about a relatively new boat from CA called Seapiper 35? Looks interesting - not traditional downeast, but a west coast trawler.
Beam looks a little narrower than some others - wondering if anyone knows about it's sea keeping abilties.

DotRat

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Row Boat
I saw it and love the eastern rig look! The middle hang out area is nice and looks like you could put a picnic table midship and have a great hang out spot. I think they are pretty neat and want one haha!

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Last edited:

Joe Donovan

Ensign
First Name
Joe
Anyone hear about a relatively new boat from CA called Seapiper 35? Looks interesting - not traditional downeast, but a west coast trawler.
Beam looks a little narrower than some others - wondering if anyone knows about it's sea keeping abilties.
I have Hull No. 10 under construction right now, somewhere south of the Gobi Desert in China! Trying to choose between "Grey Ghost" and "Narrow Escape." The main point I want to make here is that the designer/builder -- Ritzo Muntinga -- is a prince of a guy and apparently an amazing talent.

I downsized a few years ago from a Compac 27 pocket cruiser to a Holby Bristol Skiff of 17 feet. The skiff is perfect for exploring the backwaters of the Great Marsh where I operate out of Ipswich, MA. But I fell in love with the design of the SeaPiper. I am getting old and I have always been an inadventurous mariner. I will use the boat in perhaps eccentric ways -- Daytrips out of Ipswich, an occasional overnight, small houseboat to live on for a few days at a time at the mooring and, I hope, as a "narrow boat" on the Erie Canal and the Finger Lakes. With that deployment in mind, I did not order the stabilizer. Options include a freezer (the fridge is pretty small and the freezer doubles as a bigger fridge), diesel powered heat, the electronics package, and davits, which won't hang an inflatable but perhaps a bike on the canal!

Interesting tidbit. The hull form of the boat is based on a rather famous New Jersey surf rescue boat -- "Sea Bright" if memory serves -- which also inspired the hull form of a lot of rum runners during Prohibition.

There is a short video of the boat online in 4-5 ft seas. She seems quite dry in the center cockpit in such conditions, but I wish the video had her doing a slow 360 to show performance sans stabilizer with swell coming from amidships.

As things unfold I will be happy to share info.

scallywag

Captain
Boat Make
25'general marine
Nice looking, common sense cruiser. A real boat, not a top heavy spaceship, like most modern production boats.

Joe Donovan

Ensign
First Name
Joe
What about electrical? House banks, generator and or solar panels
I will go with just the three batteries that come standard. There is an intrepid 83 year old gentleman in FL named Herman who I believe will go blue water with Hull no. 5. He has made some great upgrades towards that end. I think he has about six batteries as well as solar. You can check it all out via mvkiwi.com. Herman was generous with his time and knowledge when I was deciding whether to pull out the checkbook.

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
@Joe Donovan -
Congrats on your new boat; she belongs here with the rest of this exceptional form-follows-function crowd.

For whatever reason, your comment about eccentric use struck a chord with me as boats like yours are super flexible. Case in point, back in August we took ours to the backside of Cranes for just a typical weekend visit. Weather for the following week was so good we stayed 5 days mining provisions onboard and take-out in Essex, remote working the weekdays. Home (and happiness) is where you find it.

Stripercoast

Ensign
I have Hull No. 10 under construction right now, somewhere south of the Gobi Desert in China! Trying to choose between "Grey Ghost" and "Narrow Escape." The main point I want to make here is that the designer/builder -- Ritzo Muntinga -- is a prince of a guy and apparently an amazing talent.

I downsized a few years ago from a Compac 27 pocket cruiser to a Holby Bristol Skiff of 17 feet. The skiff is perfect for exploring the backwaters of the Great Marsh where I operate out of Ipswich, MA. But I fell in love with the design of the SeaPiper. I am getting old and I have always been an inadventurous mariner. I will use the boat in perhaps eccentric ways -- Daytrips out of Ipswich, an occasional overnight, small houseboat to live on for a few days at a time at the mooring and, I hope, as a "narrow boat" on the Erie Canal and the Finger Lakes. With that deployment in mind, I did not order the stabilizer. Options include a freezer (the fridge is pretty small and the freezer doubles as a bigger fridge), diesel powered heat, the electronics package, and davits, which won't hang an inflatable but perhaps a bike on the canal!

Interesting tidbit. The hull form of the boat is based on a rather famous New Jersey surf rescue boat -- "Sea Bright" if memory serves -- which also inspired the hull form of a lot of rum runners during Prohibition.

There is a short video of the boat online in 4-5 ft seas. She seems quite dry in the center cockpit in such conditions, but I wish the video had her doing a slow 360 to show performance sans stabilizer with swell coming from amidships.

As things unfold I will be happy to share info.
Hi I’m curious about your Bristol 17 comments. I’m looking for something for a shallow inlet on cape cod. I have young kids that I want to be able to enjoy and learn about boating on. Sounds like you are happy with it?

cb34

Rear Admiral
Can't wait to see it in local waters. Cool looking boat half the price of a finished lobster boat.

Shark49

Lieutenant Commander
Not even close to a finished lobster boat! Oh it’s also made in China and only sold manufacture direct.
I’ll stick with local made and prefer to support a dealer so I get the benefit of a dealer.

Joe Donovan

Ensign
First Name
Joe
@Joe Donovan -
Congrats on your new boat; she belongs here with the rest of this exceptional form-follows-function crowd.

For whatever reason, your comment about eccentric use struck a chord with me as boats like yours are super flexible. Case in point, back in August we took ours to the backside of Cranes for just a typical weekend visit. Weather for the following week was so good we stayed 5 days mining provisions onboard and take-out in Essex, remote working the weekdays. Home (and happiness) is where you find it.
Funny you should say that! One of my goals is to beach the boat behind Crane's! Thanks for your comments.

Joe Donovan

Ensign
First Name
Joe
Hi I’m curious about your Bristol 17 comments. I’m looking for something for a shallow inlet on cape cod. I have young kids that I want to be able to enjoy and learn about boating on. Sounds like you are happy with it?
The Bristol 17 is a great little boat. It has opened up to me the backwaters of the Great Marsh. It has a relatively flat bottom, so it doesn't like being on a plane when there are serious swells, but in protected waters it is delightful at about 8 kts. And with the lapstrake design and the lines of a Grand Banks dory it always attracts thumbs up. Couldn't be happier with it.

Top Bottom