Searching....

rdahmes

Ensign
First Name
Robert
Over the years, my wife and have sailed Rhodes 19s, a Columbia 26, a J30, a J80, and a Beneteau Oceanis 31. We have powered on a Stingray 22, a Carver 32, a Beneteau Antares 29, and for the past 5 years, an Express Scout 30. As time has passed, I have been in an airplane crash, and my wife was in an elevator crash, leaving us both a bit "mobility challenged". Alas, we must find a smaller power boat that is easy to board, easy to manage (basically single-hand), generally stable, and has a head/porta-potti. We are looking at a couple of Nauset 27s on the web (one gas and one diesel), a Northcoast 24 (twin gas), and a Shamrock 246 SPII (1993). Any recommendations, thoughts, ideas or other useful information would be greatfully appreciated. BTW, we are in New Orleans and do our boating on Lake Pontchartrain and along the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Kailua Kid

Captain
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Over the years, my wife and have sailed Rhodes 19s, a Columbia 26, a J30, a J80, and a Beneteau Oceanis 31. We have powered on a Stingray 22, a Carver 32, a Beneteau Antares 29, and for the past 5 years, an Express Scout 30. As time has passed, I have been in an airplane crash, and my wife was in an elevator crash, leaving us both a bit "mobility challenged". Alas, we must find a smaller power boat that is easy to board, easy to manage (basically single-hand), generally stable, and has a head/porta-potti. We are looking at a couple of Nauset 27s on the web (one gas and one diesel), a Northcoast 24 (twin gas), and a Shamrock 246 SPII (1993). Any recommendations, thoughts, ideas or other useful information would be greatfully appreciated. BTW, we are in New Orleans and do our boating on Lake Pontchartrain and along the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Welcome to the forum. You will receive lots of useful and sometimes entertaining information and responses here from some very knowledgeable vessel owners.

For the use you describe, I suggest you also consider a General Marine 26. I bought one about two and a half years ago out in Maine and had it towed out to the PNW on a trailer built for the boat by General Marine (actually purchased new then modified by General Marine to accommodate the boat).

I love this little boat. Yanmar 6LP DTE 250 delivers a cruising speed of around 17 knots at 3200. Fuel consumption at that RPM is around 8 gallons per hour (estimated from hour meter, not determined by flowscan); super reliable, easy to maintain and operate; and for me very important since I run at least five days per week, year round in sometimes sporting conditions, surprisingly capable in heavy weather.

The GM 26 I found has an enclosed head with shower, galley with sink and stove, refer, pressure hot and cold water, nice V berth and wood trim, bow thruster, Bennett trim tabs, radar, AIS and GPS, Fathometer, etc. Many of these that come up on the used market are equipped like this one, from what I saw when I was looking.

I trust you will receive lots of similar accolades for other boats in the 25-28’ range from very happy owners. I suspect that is because there are quite a few owners of downeast-style boats in that (and other) size range that are very happy with their choice.

One other suggestion: Sometimes the builders and or finishers know of boats about to come on the market before hand and can tip you off to one just at the right time. That is how I found my little boat.

Enjoy the search!

Henry

Commander
Boat Make
Duffy 31
You might want to look at the Rosborough 246. It meets all of you criteria and can be found with an IO or outboard(s). It is trailerable, has a head, small galley, v berth, h/c water, AC, etc. often you can find them in Florida.

Pete H

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Pete
Boat Make
Rosborough RF-246
+1 on the Rosborough for your criteria. Love ours, but they are hard to find i.e they go fast when listed

481332A1-ECB3-4528-9EF4-7CCB36365E56.jpeg

Latest Posts

Top Bottom