SeaStar Inboard Hydraulic Steering Kit

PGC

1st Mate
Website
www.paulcroninstudios.com
Boat Make
Multi boats in my shop
I am going to pull the old steering out of our Nauset 27 next week. It is shot, and needs replacing.

Is there a local shop in Rhode Island where I can purchase all the parts? I know which parts, but do not have the tools to make the hoses with two sets of bulkhead mounts so i can run from helm right to cylinder?

dogfather

Deckhand
DM me, I'm in Dartmouth, have a Parker Karrycrimp with all the goodies, and can do it all on site. Maybe save you a few $$$.

PGC

1st Mate
Website
Boat Make
Multi boats in my shop
DM me, I'm in Dartmouth, have a Parker Karrycrimp with all the goodies, and can do it all on site. Maybe save you a few $$$.
Thanks you, If I am in need of crimping I will let you know. SeaStar said the through deck fittings can go on afterwards with end fittings already on the hose.

I still have to remove the old one, measure all, and get the parts. It looks like the cylinder I have is not longer produced. Going to pull that out today, did not have all the right tools yesterday. Boat goes to the yard tomorrow so progress.

dogfather

Deckhand
they say that because there are two types "bulkhead fittings" that they offer. one is a true bulkhead, the other is a plastic flange that functions as one, but is nothing more then an oversize grommet. be careful: you only have one opportunity to drill the (larger) holes....you can't drill smaller.

PGC

1st Mate
Website
Boat Make
Multi boats in my shop
they say that because there are two types "bulkhead fittings" that they offer. one is a true bulkhead, the other is a plastic flange that functions as one, but is nothing more then an oversize grommet. be careful: you only have one opportunity to drill the (larger) holes....you can't drill smaller.
Great info, thank you. If I have to have hoses made, I will contact you. Appreciate someone who knows the systems.

dogfather

Deckhand
A true bulkhead fitting will have a hose on each side of the partition...so twice as many hose ends. there are field attachable ends, but they are physically larger and more than twice the money.

sammdawson

Banned
If you're up for it post some pics of your project. I'm taking on a similar project also in RI this summer

True Grit

1st Mate
A true bulkhead fitting will have a hose on each side of the partition...so twice as many hose ends. there are field attachable ends, but they are physically larger and more than twice the money.
Everyone should have a union and 2 reusable fittings on board for the steering system.

dogfather

Deckhand
5/16" (or 3/8" if you have the "Sport" system) double hose barb and two Oetiker clamps will do a quick repair---pinch with a pair of "dikes".

PGC

1st Mate
Website
Boat Make
Multi boats in my shop
Could not get the cylinder out today. It has a long extension with clevis pin onto a bracket/bulkhead longer than my arm reach. The only access now is a Freeman 12" round on CL over the tiller arm. I am going to add a waterproof access port 10" x 12" over the other end to remove the pin. And in case i have to build a mount for a different cylinder.

But for now off line for the weekend to travel and see family on the Cape.

Enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend, be safe, have fun, and remember/thank everyone who is and has served.

PGC

1st Mate
Website
Boat Make
Multi boats in my shop
Well I finally had the time to get the cylinder out. Had to cut out for a new Deck Plate so I could access the back end of the cylinder, and build the new mount. Cylinder is toast, and SeaStar said the replace is HC5319-3. And I also need the HP5615 clevis pin end for for my tiller arm, and looks like HF6003 for 3/8" SAE fittings.

This boat is built like a tank. The deck laminate is thick, with balsa that is in great shape after 43 years. Will seal the core. Dry fit the new deck plate, and will hold off on installing until I am done with the mount and some bilge paint.

Couple of questions and pictures added:
1. What do the hose experts think of this, Updated from 1/4" NPT fittings to -5 ORB fittings?
2. Or should I go with the 3/8" SAE fittings?

Need to build a new mount which is no big deal since the old one had the extension. Then need to run the new hoses with new manual pump. Will repack the rudder stuffing box while the tiller is off.

Also decided to repaint the cockpit deck after some clean up work and sealing. Also painting the topside, and of course I am in the middle of sanding the bottom after soda blasted. That will get two coats of epoxy barrier, then two coats of bottom paint. Hope to be in the water in 2-3 weeks.

IMG_2309.jpeg

IMG_2310.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

IMG_2312.jpeg

IMG_2313.jpeg

IMG_2314.jpeg

IMG_2315.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

IMG_2317.jpeg

IMG_2318.jpeg

Rick Mello

Deckhand
Boat Make
30 DE custom
I am going to pull the old steering out of our Nauset 27 next week. It is shot, and needs replacing.

Is there a local shop in Rhode Island where I can purchase all the parts? I know which parts, but do not have the tools to make the hoses with two sets of bulkhead mounts so i can run from helm right to cylinder?
McGill hose and coupling inc made my trans lines while i had lunch

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
16 Calvin Beal
Well I finally had the time to get the cylinder out. Had to cut out for a new Deck Plate so I could access the back end of the cylinder, and build the new mount. Cylinder is toast, and SeaStar said the replace is HC5319-3. And I also need the HP5615 clevis pin end for for my tiller arm, and looks like HF6003 for 3/8" SAE fittings.

This boat is built like a tank. The deck laminate is thick, with balsa that is in great shape after 43 years. Will seal the core. Dry fit the new deck plate, and will hold off on installing until I am done with the mount and some bilge paint.

Couple of questions and pictures added:
1. What do the hose experts think of this, Updated from 1/4" NPT fittings to -5 ORB fittings?
2. Or should I go with the 3/8" SAE fittings?

Need to build a new mount which is no big deal since the old one had the extension. Then need to run the new hoses with new manual pump. Will repack the rudder stuffing box while the tiller is off.

Also decided to repaint the cockpit deck after some clean up work and sealing. Also painting the topside, and of course I am in the middle of sanding the bottom after soda blasted. That will get two coats of epoxy barrier, then two coats of bottom paint. Hope to be in the water in 2-3 weeks.

View attachment 160469

View attachment 160470

View attachment 160471

View attachment 160472

View attachment 160473

View attachment 160474

View attachment 160475

View attachment 160476

View attachment 160477

View attachment 160478
they didnt mess around building that deck wow

Top Bottom