SeaStar Teleflex steering cylinder HC5319 BA175-7TM

Discussion in 'Boat Parts / Fishing Gear/ Electronics / Materials' started by Gurryman, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28
    SeaStar steering cylinder, HC5319 BA175-7TM. This was removed from a new boat after sea trials and replaced with power steering. $550

Attached Files:

2. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Good deal.

Just bought one in June and it was $799 with commercial discount. Reg 900 something.

Anyone needs one I would jump on it.

3. chasmoe

chasmoe Member

Boat Make:
    fib fab
    SeaStar steering cylinder, HC5319 BA175-7TM. This was removed from a new boat after sea trials and replaced with power steering. $550 Would a commercial helm hh5217 work with this cylinder ? How many turns would it have ? Thanks for any help .

4. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28
    The HH5217 is a 1.7 cubic inch helm. HC5319 Cylinder is 13.7 cu/in volume, so from center to hard over would be 4.03 turns. Lock to lock 8.06 turns.

5. leaky

leaky Captain

I haven't looked at this very hard yet, is it about what I need in my 32 Holland?

Is this the standard sort of single cylinder?

8 turns lock to lock seems like alot coming from boats that have 4, but is that kinda normal with an inboard I've never actually counted; or do they make helms which turn them quicker?

At the moment pressed for time, will look it up and see what is sold out there; if it is the right thing and makes sense for the $$ (versus buying a kit if they sell such a thing w/ all the parts) I certainly will take it.

Thanks!

Jon

6. powderpro

powderpro Captain

I would get the 3.0 Helm for that ram, then you would have approximately 4.5 turns lock-lock.

leaky likes this.
  7. chasmoe

chasmoe Member

Boat Make:
    fib fab
    Thanks for info on the turns Gurryman bigger than I need , great deal , good luck with the sale .

Plastered likes this.
  8. leaky

leaky Captain

They use a tiller w/ 6 inches center to center in these boats normally; I should measure to see what I need there but I do need some minimum amount of tiller on mine to clear the prop cleanout, unless I want the cylinder mounted such that the base is toward the transom, which creates a goofy access problem.

Without getting too technical about it I estimated the turning radius w/ a cylinder that has 7 inches of travel, and a tiller 6 inches center to center, and came up with something like 30 degrees from center (or 60 degrees total).. Seems like a minimum to me but never once considered this... Does anyone have an idea how much radius is normal on a rudder?

Jon

9. Gurryman

Gurryman Captain

Boat Make:
    Nauset 28
    Price Drop, $500