Seaway 24 vs. Eastern 24 handling?

Pilgrim

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 21
I posted this on the main page and then thought that maybe I should have posted here.

This is my first post. I've been reading here for a while and really learned a lot from you guys. Thank you.

Right now, I have a 21' Seaway Sport. It's a great boat and I love everything about it, but I now want a boat that we can camp out on. Someday, I dream of having a Rosborough but can't afford it now. If I sell the 21', I can probably afford a new Seaway 24 Hardtop Sport or a used Eastern 24.

Boat would be used from Casco Bay up to Cobscook, never far offshore. We are old farts and never go very fast. A top end of 18 or so is plenty, usually we're content to putt along at 6 knots. We fish a lot and explore a lot of very skinny water. Two of us would sleep aboard for a few nights at a stretch.

Would the Seaway be more stable at anchor?

Which would you buy?

Thanks for your help with this.

Spence

Commander
Welcome to the forum. We have another member here who goes by the name of Magnolia Sun who has run both boats and introduced me to the Seaway. Hopefully he'll weigh in. Meanwhile here's my 2 cents:

I'm very happy with my 2013 Seaway 24 HT Sport. Outfitted her for cruising and day charter tours. Because of the charter aspect I worked direct with the factory and tweaked the layout a bit-extra porlights, shortened the 9 ' bunks to 6' 6" and built closets for gear and potty, no seats.

My boat is rigged with a 115 and 9.9 Yamahas. I haven't run her in anything bigger than a solid 3' chop which she handled easily at 15 mph (a bit squirrely at 22 mph with the sea on her stern quarter). The big engine will push the hull to 32 mph, @ 20 mph fuel economy almost 5 mpg. The 9.9 will push the hull at 7 mph or more easily at 5 mph-it goes against my grain to run an engine at WOT for extended periods

Obviously there's a big cost difference in the boats (which really ticked off an Eastern salesman I spoke with-he didn't see much difference in the 2 boats). Importantly for me the SW is markedly lighter-mine tows easily with my 6 cyl. Tacoma.

My wife and I really enjoy multi day trips. We built our own seating incorporating galley, food locker and tackle storage into the seat boxes. We built a sliding roof and full canvas so we can enclose the wheel house and cockpit and heat with a small heater. Our last cruise was and overnight in mid October on the lower Kennebec (Gardiner to Popham and return). We'll trailer the boat to Florida next month for 3 weeks of liveaboard fishing and cruising.

Red1beard

Commander
Boat Make
24 ft seaway
I had a 20' Eastern. Traded it for a 24' Seaway sport hardtop. Seaway has hard chines and a very modified vee bottom. Eastern had soft chines and a flat bottom. Eastern rocked and rolled a bit at anchor or drifting. Also pounded harder in a slight chop. Smooth water and a 90 etec on the 20' was faster than I needed. But the Eastern handled better in a following sea. Have a 130 etec on the 24'. Cruise 14 to 18 knots. Fuel use around 6 miles per gallon. If you trim the bow up the Seaway is not too bad in a following sea. She wants to wander a bit. Could be the entry is sharper on the Seaway. Both are nice boats. I did consider a 24 Eastern. But I wanted more cockpit space. The Eastern is a bit cluttered for my use. Fishing, picnics with 2 grandkids and their parents, Blue Crabbing etc. Take a tour of the factory. Both boats made in the same factory. Both are good. Depends on what you want it for. That's my twenty five cents worth.

Renko

Ensign
I have a 2013 Eastern 24 Explorer and love it. Rolls in the anchorage, but more or less the same as everyone else. We looked at both the seaways and the easterns and liked the more substantial Eastern 'package' (for lack of a better term). I really liked the enclosed cabin with plexiglass curtains as well - makes the season a bit longer. We have the port L settee in the cabin, counter, sink and aft fixed bench. It's a perfect picnic/overnighter for my wife, son and me. Anything more than 4-5 adults and 1-2 kids makes things a bit tight, but not sure many 24 footers would do a whole lot better. Underway, with a clean bottom, we hit the high 28-29 knots - there is more to be had, but i haven't wanted/needed to wot, it has Yam 150 on a bracket. we are right in Boston harbor, and hit all sorts of sloppy sea states depending on the season, and its a nice steady ride, if you keep at the right speed you wont get soaked either. I dont think you could go wrong with either one, i just thought the eastern ha better lines (to my eye, at least) and was available with a full cabin.

Pilgrim

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 21
Thanks everyone! This sort of discussion helps a lot. Red1beard and Spence's Seaway experiences and Renko's view that both boats are winners are very reassuring.

Spence, I'm very interested in your modifications. If I go with the new Seaway, I was considering many of the same moves: added lights, home-built seats and storage, 115 and 9.9, shortened berths, etc. I found a couple of photos of your boat in other posts and really admire the look and functionality of your decisions. I have a few questions that, if you have time, I'd love your input:
--The sliding roof is very intriguing. How does it work? I was going to build a permanent extended hard top all the way to the stern using the Rosborough as a model.
--Now that you've had your boat for a while, what changes, if any, would you make?
--How was your buying experience with BFC?

Thanks again.

Spence

Commander
I'm happy with the sliding roof so far. I had a very good carpenter build it using 1/4" ply and spruce frame. I glassed the top with 6 oz cloth and polyester resin. Its supported by 1 1/4 diameter fiberglass poles that fit in the rod holders on the gunwales and sockets in the roof frame. Its cleated off from the aft corners to the gunwales. It has what I refer to as half or full cocked position depending on which rod holders I use. I think a full fixed roof would interfere with fishing so for me the slider is a good compromise.

I had cross bars and rod holders built into the grab rails, the roof slides under the cross bars and is secured to the rails when the roof isn't deployed. You could save weight and cost by building a pole frame and fabric top but I like the look of the hard top. Boat is covered with snow now, will try to post some pics in the spring. If you're ever in the Whitefield, Maine area I'd be pleased to show her to you.

I haven't seen much I'd change yet. I like both engines. I know some folks like the bigger engines but I'm good with the 115. I really like having the 9.9 operating totally from the helm-great for fishing and poking around in skinny water or just loafing along.

I had little contact with BFC, they fixed a minor hatch leak but they seemed like they knew what they were doing from chatting with the general manager. Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:

seaeast

Ensign
New to eastern and Seaway Boats.

We have just become a Eastern and Seaway dealer for the Chesapeake bay region. In fact we just finalized our order for boats at the Boston boat show this week. We are new to these boats and are going to be in the learning mode for a while .I think they will do very good in this area and am anxious to get going. I look forward to reading what others with experience have to say . We currently Carry Ranger Tugs and Cutwater cruisers and now Eastern and Seaway boats!!

Thanks John The Pocket-Yacht Co. Grasonville MD.
[email protected]

Spence

Commander
Welcome to the forum and the best of luck with your new venture. I'm familiar with Ranger tugs but had not heard of Cutwater. What mpg do they figure is good fuel economy on the 26?

seaeast

Ensign
Fuel burn 26 Cutwater

Spence, The cutwater is designed to be somewhat faster than the Ranger. The Cutwater has a larger Volvo diesel .The 26 has a D3 which is the 220hp.Cruising 3500rpm your doing 12.4kts and burning 7.7 gph 80gal fuel tank. At 1500 5.6kts .7gph. Hope this answers your question.
John

Spence

Commander
Thanks John, just curious-too happy with my Seaway to be serious

seaeast

Ensign
Seaway

That's fine Spence-no problem. Were expecting our 27 Seaway Seafarer next week sometime weather permitting .

Pilgrim

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 21
Hi Spence,

It took me a while to get back here to the forum. I hate it when life demands intrude upon my boat dreaming.

I really appreciate the offer to have a look at your modifications. They sound very similar to what I've been envisioning and seeing them in person would help immensely. I live in South Portland, but am up around Whitefield/Washington fairly often. Let me know what works for you and I'll be there. Thanks again.

Spence

Commander
Hi Pilgrim,

Glad to show you the boat, best to wait 'til I get back from Florida in mid April. I take off next week and things are super busy until then. Plus I'll have a month's more fishing and boating experience with the boat. Look forward to meeting you.

Spence

Pilgrim

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 21
Spence, with the next storm rumbling at us tomorrow, I'm especially jealous of your time in Florida. Give me a shout when you return home. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've done with the boat.
I'm heading to the boat show next Friday and heading over to the Seaway factory next week.
It will be good to meet you too,
Ron

Spence

Commander
Hi Ron,

Yeah, the storm will delay our departure 'til Friday. I've pretty much lost my taste for trailering a boat in a snow storm. Will be in touch in mid April. Enjoy the boat show.

Top Bottom