Seaway 24?

Force Multiplier

Deckhand
Does anyone know how long the Seaway 24 has been produced? It looks similar to the Sisu 22, but I believe the Seaway 24 has hard chines rather than round like the Sisu.
Please share anything else you know about the Seaway 24.

Spence

1st Mate
The 24 HT Sport (and other 24 models?) was "reintroduced" by Eastern/Seaway in 2013 when I purchased Laughing Gull. I don't know if the old Seaway plant in Oxford, Maine produced a 24. I know there was a good bit smaller 23 built for a number of years. Flowers Boat Works has the mold and they documented a build here a few years back. My understanding is that Royal Lowell designed the Sisu and Henry Farmer the Seaways. That's about all I think I know please correct me as needed, will be following this thread with interest.

RobBaker

1st Mate
Boat Make
Eastern Sisu 22
The Sisu 22 produced by Eastern has hard chines. These two boats are very similar.

The Seaway is quite a bit heavier (1,290) at 3950 vs 2660 for the Sisu and the suggested hp is also increased. I'm assuming the weight reported is without the engine. These two boats share many of the same features. The Sisu doesn't have the sink. Seaway is 2' longer and 6" wider in the beam.

Draft is different Sisu 22 at 24" vs 14" for the seaway 24.
Add the trailer and required boating stuff and the total weight of the Seaway 24 would have put a strain on our towing vehicle, Honda Ridgeline.

Last edited:

G-Dad

Deckhand
Boat Make
Seaway 24 Hardtop Sport
The Sisu 22 produced by Eastern has hard chines. These two boats are very similar.

The Seaway is quite a bit heavier (1,290) at 3950 vs 2660 for the Sisu and the suggested hp is also increased. I'm assuming the weight reported is without the engine. These two boats share many of the same features. The Sisu doesn't have the sink. Seaway is 2' longer and 6" wider in the beam.

Draft is different Sisu 22 at 24" vs 14" for the seaway 24.
Add the trailer and required boating stuff and the total weight of the Seaway 24 would have put a strain on our towing vehicle, Honda Ridgeline.

The dry weight for my 2014 Seaway 24 Hard Top Sport is about 2,900 lb. There are other versions of the Seaway 24 with additional outfitting that are heavier.

Spence

1st Mate
The 2013 24 HT Sport was "rolled edge" construction i.e. without liner. This resulted in a weight of 2850. The current 24 HT has a liner and as Rob states weighs 3950. That weight difference was critical in my purchasing decision. I don't know if Seaway would produce a 24 HT rolled edge boat on custom order but the current version would exceed the towing capacity of my Tacoma

G-Dad

Deckhand
Boat Make
Seaway 24 Hardtop Sport
The 2013 24 HT Sport was "rolled edge" construction i.e. without liner. This resulted in a weight of 2850. The current 24 HT has a liner and as Rob states weighs 3950. That weight difference was critical in my purchasing decision. I don't know if Seaway would produce a 24 HT rolled edge boat on custom order but the current version would exceed the towing capacity of my Tacoma

The 24HT photos currently on the Seaway website appear to be a non-liner (rolled edge) boat; but website shows the weight as 3,950 lbs. Something amiss somewhere?

Allen Smith

Deckhand
The 24 HT Sport (and other 24 models?) was "reintroduced" by Eastern/Seaway in 2013 when I purchased Laughing Gull. I don't know if the old Seaway plant in Oxford, Maine produced a 24. I know there was a good bit smaller 23 built for a number of years. Flowers Boat Works has the mold and they documented a build here a few years back. My understanding is that Royal Lowell designed the Sisu and Henry Farmer the Seaways. That's about all I think I know please correct me as needed, will be following this thread with interest.
Seaway did in fact produce 24's in multiple configurations prior to the Eastern purchase. I have a 2009 24 Sportsman, Center Console and it has hard chines. let me know if you want pics/details/etc.

Spence

1st Mate
The 24HT photos currently on the Seaway website appear to be a non-liner (rolled edge) boat; but website shows the weight as 3,950 lbs. Something amiss somewhere?

G-Dad

Good catch! Not sure where I got the idea a liner had been added. I wonder if a spec was transposed from another 24. They've added some cabinetry but that seems unlikely to add the 1,000 lbs. Of course somebody could ask the company but then what would we have to speculate about on this dreary day

Sagamore Creek

Deckhand
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
Seaway
I had my 24 built in 2017 and I happen to live within 30 minutes of the factory, so I got to work pretty closely with Eastern on the order and got to see many steps in the construction (all a really good experience, by the way). I, too, considered the Sisu, but ended up going with the Seaway. To make things even more complicated, Eastern also has their own 24, which is a different hull entirely. A while back, I had owned a Seaway 18 CC that had been built in Oxford prior to the Eastern purchase (original Seaway didn't survive the financial downturn of 2008).

Anyway, here are some super quick answers to the questions bubbling through this thread:
Sisu has a rounded bottom, and then a hard chine, but more like a molded spray rail than a traditional hard chine.
The Seaway is a true hard chine, where the rear third of the hull looks nearly like a box.
The Eastern 24 is a true soft chine, very rounded throughout.

They offered a 24 Hardtop Sport (no liner) and the 24 Coastal Hardtop (liner in the cabin, plus some extra stuff) for a few years. The HT Sport was less expensive, but also very basic inside. The Coastal had a nicer finish. Both of these had rolled edge (no liner) in the cockpit. At the time, the weight difference was listed at 1,100 lbs or so. I believe that they don't offer the HT Sport as unlined anymore, but you could probably ask.

FWIW, I have been really pleased with my setup. The hull is very stable (less roll than the Sisu or the regular Eastern 24), smooth ride, not terribly fast (I spec'd the 150 Yamaha, which is a good match). Nice enough finish, but still basic enough to clean up easily and not a lot of extra stuff to maintain.

Figuring the dry weight of the boat at nearly 4,000 lbs, add the motor, trailer weight (guess 1,000 lbs?) and all of the crap inside the boat, I figure I'm towing around 5,500-6,000 lbs. I pull with a F150 was no issues. Might be a strain on a smaller truck.

RockBottomFish

1st Mate
Boat Make
BHM
Spence,
Is bow steer an issue with the 24 HT with cut out tramson? Took a ride on one and it seems impossible to het the bow to come up at all. Your thoughts?

Spence

1st Mate
I've had no issues with bow steering. My transom is too busy for tabs which I'd like, but I use the power trim a lot, up for a following sea, down for a mild head sea. I'm pretty quick to slow down when it gets bouncy. Boats don't "pound", skippers do

RockBottomFish

1st Mate
Boat Make
BHM
I've had no issues with bow steering. My transom is too busy for tabs which I'd like, but I use the power trim a lot, up for a following sea, down for a mild head sea. I'm pretty quick to slow down when it gets bouncy. Boats don't "pound", skippers do
Thanks for getting back to me.

Haddock

Admiral
First Name
Mike
Boat Make
24' Seaway Hard Top
I have a 2019 24 HT and Spence is spot on. Bare bones boat that I could afford and keeps me on the water all season. I had questions on tachometer readings that were answered here; performance was okay but setting was wrong. Trust what you see here.

Top Bottom