Second Canyon Trip

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Ha, so starting my second canyon trip, trying to see if I can get the green stick in order before I go but still waiting on a couple of things...

Anyone have an intel, pm me, or text 5082542290, you share, I will call from sat phone if people need intel with sharing...

Wish I could remember the things I missed from last canyon trip, somewhere there is a list on a cardboard box...lol

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
Wish I was going but still without the POS Jeep and just enough money to get back to NJ in a few weeks (that is if the Jeep doesn't drain the bank account). The list should be on the dash written on a wheat thins box, I think. Don't forget to look beyond those canyon walls dude!!!

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
me too

I'm planning a trip Thurs -> Friday and am serioursly considering putting in at 80 fathoms, not working any ways but trolling out to 1000 fathoms or so and looking along deep structure.

The yellowfin sure as heck aren't in 60-120 fathoms this year in any numbers...

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Torn to pick next trip... that is why I think I will just do a grand tour, start west and work east...

wesmac38

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Wesmac
from the looks of it...theres a upwelling forming over the hudson

greg

Captain
Don't see the upwelling, but it might be a diff in the charts we are using.

One thing that has been annoying me is that it seems the eddies have consistently passed well south of the edge and even south of the hudson. We get walls of warm water at the edge, but not the core circulation effects we normally see.

The eddies have been hitting the wilmington and heading south. There is another one out there right now about to go south of the hudson again.

Could be why we haven't been seeing the yft. Bummer this.

wesmac38

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Wesmac
ya, me and my father have been itching to pull the trigger and get out there again...we missed out on the bite in the tales due to being so busy at work.

just sitting waiting and checking the charts haha

i Finally convinced my father into a greenstick project for the winter, after being clearly out fished in veatch a week ago. To bad its not going to be in for the next few trips

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Wont have mine this trip either, pissing me off a bit but wanted to be here when I started the project...

greg

Captain
Wont have mine this trip either, pissing me off a bit but wanted to be here when I started the project...

Fwiw, I think it took about 6 months for my stick to finally get here from japan. Like you said, it stops you from even getting started since you need the bottom section for the fabricator to build to for the brackets.

By the way, I will recommend Bryan's bird. It runs almost the same as the one I bought. May just need a tad more lead in the belly for heavy seas but runs fine as is.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Was amazed couldnt get Parker fittings in New Bedford, closest was Weymouth or Cranston... everything is just a show stopper...

CaptAlex

Lieutenant
Boat Make
35' H&H
If you would like to buy a greenstick in the US, you have 3 choices: POP in Hawaii, Ethridge in Wanchese NC, or Sportsmans Landing on Cape Cod ... Carl put a lot of work in to be the source in the Notheast for genuine Hamaguchi greensticks from 27'-40' (in stock), Waterman hydraulic bandit reels, birds, moldcraft squids, and #500, #800 etc etc lb mono ... he and Oscar at POP have partnered up in the shipments from Japan ...
Yes he's a buddy of mine ... just drives me crazy that guys don't realize how much easier it is to get GS gear than it was even 6 months ago

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I have to agree, seen them sitting in his shop and he some bandit reels there too... I think its fairly new, like from August on? I started these purchases before hand... I did hit up Butch because I feel that I needed alot of basic knowledge over the phone and wanted to know more about the HISTORY of it all. I will say once I get settled in and need a second bird for weather/fishing I will hit up Carl.

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
Bird choice

I would recommend getting a Fred Fox bird from Carl...I haven't heard very good things about the Wanchese bird, they supposedly don't track we'll. The Fox bird is weighted towards the rear and it doesn't dig in, it tows great and doesn't put a ton of strain on the stick.

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Ha, wishing I had also bought local, as I am sure it is "TRACKING WELL" in the UPS box... LOL

greg

Captain
This can get confusing but....

The bird carl sells comes from Wanchese, he calls it a wanchese bird because of that, but it is the design I have always called a japanese bird. Runs flat and smooth at all speeds and throws a heck of a ruckus.

I have always called the rounded bird that looks more like a mahi than a bird a wanchese bird. These tend to dive and bob from what I've heard.

I have no idea if those are the correct terms for the respective designs, but it's what I always heard them called.

Wish I had pictures handy.

Oh, and we are leaving tomorrow night for the edge and returning sunday. Don't know where yet but will be somewhere between the dip and atlantis.

Decisions, decisions.......

Last edited:
Top Bottom