Selling a Downeast- suggestions?

Cakosa

Lieutenant
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum. Trying to advertise my dads JC 31 Provincetown but having trouble finding websites to advertise her where there are people interested in Downeast boats. Any other suggestions to where I could advertise her? I'm in NY and over in my marina there's a lot if older production boats, hard to find the right fan base, so I figured up north east is where to advertise.

I've posted on some Maine, Mass., and NH Craigslist pages, some interest but too much SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I have seen your ads (in CT). Advertise it here in the boats for sale section.

Or here- Midcoast Yacht & Ship Brokerage - Downeast Lobster Boats - Commercial Boats

My advice would be to find the first interested person and make a deal no matter what it takes. Cant tell you how many people I know that have boats for 3+ years "for sale" after getting an offer that was 75% of their ask in the first week.

Sold my Seaway for 80% of ask in 2 weeks and I am stoked. Craigslist buyer from LI.

Cakosa

Lieutenant
I have seen your ads (in CT). Advertise it here in the boats for sale section.

Or here- Midcoast Yacht & Ship Brokerage - Downeast Lobster Boats - Commercial Boats

My advice would be to find the first interested person and make a deal no matter what it takes. Cant tell you how many people I know that have boats for 3+ years "for sale" after getting an offer that was 75% of their ask in the first week.

Sold my Seaway for 80% of ask in 2 weeks and I am stoked. Craigslist buyer from LI.

Thanks for the advise. I was offered $45k already by a few people. Dad won't do 45, but I told them to come take a look, go for a ride and we'll talk. I just don't want dreamers who want a free ride haha!

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Post a link to your ad here and put it up in the classified if you havent already.

Cakosa

Lieutenant
45 sounds about right

The economy is bad, but in my opinion isn't that bad. $45k is a little low, not way way off tho. These boats in my opinion are too rare and do not sell enough to compare them the trunk cabin JC or other DE boats. Each is unique and price can only be determined if you see it in person, inspect everything etc.

Some of these boats selling for $40,000 are beat up from commercial fishing, decks soft etc. each boat is case by case. I know it's not a $70,000 boat, but I know what It is, especially with all the running gear new (prop, engine) and cosmetically new.

The asking price of $69,000 is an asking price. Anyone who wants to take Look, go for a ride, and sit down and talk, willing to do that anytime.

pfdept59

Ensign
You will know if it is priced right if it sells.If it is still for sale in a year you will know it was not priced right.Good luck with the sale

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Thanks for the advise. I was offered $45k already by a few people. Dad won't do 45, but I told them to come take a look, go for a ride and we'll talk. I just don't want dreamers who want a free ride haha!

Good luck selling your JC. I took me almost two years to sell my JC with a broker. The broker in the long run was well worth the 10%. He go rid of all the tire kickers.

Some advice if you plan on sell it your self.

You have a diamond of a JC she is a factory built PC model all original from Cardario, so that should tell ant serious JC buyer a lot.

NO one should get a ride without an agreed price & a deposit, which is refundable if he does not like the ride.

Offers of a start of 45K on your asking is not that low in today's market. Most vessel are currently selling at .68% of the owner asking price.

Cakosa

Lieutenant
Probably won't be for sale in a year from now, because the boat he's looking at probably won't last that long on the market, it's rarer than this JC PT lol. And he loves the JC that is why it's only on the market for as long as this other 34 ft custom is.

As for the boating market, it does suck and is totally a buyers market. An offer at 45k is not far off, but in our opinion (my father and I) it's not worth selling her for that price. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and you are correct with your ideas regarding buyers. For this vessel, a buyer is going to know the boat, know what to look for, know the builder etc. I'm sure there are people seeking this exact model, just have to find them lol

I do know one thing, it's very rare to see a Proviencetown on the market!

I wish I didn't repower my 320 Luhrs this past year with diesels, otherwise I'd be putting her on the market and whatever one goes first would buy the new boat.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I think you got some good advice here, the boat is very nice, but also very basic. CaptLarry's boat was a diamond, with a new motor and many custom additions. This motor has been out of production for around 10 years, and although a great motor, age matters and this affects pricing. I think 45 was a very strong offer for the package. You are about to spend winter storage, more insurance and dockage money. That, in all reality has to be pushing 5k. The same as getting 50 for the boat. I don't reacall what Larry got for his boat, but I know it wasn't 70k.. If the Kristen sold for less than your Dad is asking, you most likely are just too high. The fact that it has been for sale this long kind of supports this as well. If you want the boat to go, you should drop the ask. Another Ptown in this area (NY) sold just a year ago with a brand new electronic Yanmar and new fuel tanks for 50 or 55. Good luck with the sale.

Cakosa

Lieutenant
I think you got some good advice here, the boat is very nice, but also very basic. CaptLarry's boat was a diamond, with a new motor and many custom additions. This motor has been out of production for around 10 years, and although a great motor, age matters and this affects pricing. I think 45 was a very strong offer for the package. You are about to spend winter storage, more insurance and dockage money. That, in all reality has to be pushing 5k. The same as getting 50 for the boat. I don't reacall what Larry got for his boat, but I know it wasn't 70k.. If the Kristen sold for less than your Dad is asking, you most likely are just too high. The fact that it has been for sale this long kind of supports this as well. If you want the boat to go, you should drop the ask. Another Ptown in this area (NY) sold just a year ago with a brand new electronic Yanmar and new fuel tanks for 50 or 55. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks for the advice! I've only put her on the market this week. And we belong to a club where it costs like $100 for winter storage lol. The engine is a new block, but yes old technology.

As for the market I know it sucks, but I just feel $45 for this boat is a little low, my opinion, and I know my dad won't accept that offer, but it's not far off. I've never seen a Proviencetown for sale- only one Ive see was on Long Island and it wasn't a real JC I believe it was an eastern built with the JC mold, which from what I read and hear is not as good as the originals.

I appreciate all the input and advise. If it sells and he can buy the other boat it sells, if it doesn't hell just keep it, whatever happens happens lol.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I would suggest using a boat broker. Let them deal with the dreamers and keel kickers.. You wouldn't believe who and how many there are:D

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
10 % the the broker was money well spent. They handle the survey, hauls,
& dreamers. Plus they handle the money & taxes and clear all checks before handing over the keys, along with the title switch. It was painless on my end.

I was very happy in the long run with the sale and broker I chose. My broker hauled my boat at his yard covered all storage charges providing a sale was done before the spring launch. A very big savings, he also covered the splash charges during the survey and those costs went to the serious buyer and not me.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Today, a boat is worth what someone will pay for it. Comps are ok but should be a rough guide. Your father will have to decide how long he is willing to keep her but you should tell him about this advice here. If he wants to sell it, I would find the first interested person and make a deal honestly. IF not then hold out for your number but as was said above, on average boats sell for 68% of ask which is about $47600 in your case (very close to $45k offer).

Negotiate man!

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Your ad needs some work IMO. It's missing a lot of detail - year of boat, fuel capacity, specific models of electronics are a few things I noticed. The before pictures are confusing. I would only post pics of what the boat looks like now. You need pics of all the significant features. Remove the shots from 50 feet away.

Your ad does not mention if anything was done to the bulkheads, tabbing or stringers. Someone interested in a 30 year old boat may want to know. In this market I don't know if starting 30% high is a good thing. I would adjust the price to maybe 10k over your bottom line and see where it goes. GLWS..

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Your ad needs some work IMO. It's missing a lot of detail - year of boat, fuel capacity, specific models of electronics are a few things I noticed. The before pictures are confusing. I would only post pics of what the boat looks like now. You need pics of all the significant features. Remove the shots from 50 feet away.

Your ad does not mention if anything was done to the bulkheads, tabbing or stringers. Someone interested in a 30 year old boat may want to know. In this market I don't know if starting 30% high is a good thing. I would adjust the price to maybe 10k over your bottom line and see where it goes. GLWS..

All good advice.

Cakosa

Lieutenant
Was this the "Hookie" originally?

Original owner was the Hookie Corp., so yes sir, it was the original Hookie. We purchased her from the second owner I believe, a guy from N.C.

Got any pictures of her as Hookie? We've been wanting to see pics of her with the tower, haven't been successful. It's almost like this boat is a legend haha people remember her in both N.C and up north, but no pictures.

Top Bottom