Shaft zinc or cutter? Only have room for one.

8943post

Commander
Boat Make
33 Duffy
Fortunately we haven't had any issues with the 33 Duffy Atlantic Boat built for us last year...except one. After finding a shaft coupler out of spec and causing a vibration, ABoat replaced the coupler but forgot to put the shaft brush back in place. As a result corrosion ruined the prop which was replaced with an apology and no charge by ABoat last month.

The present issue is that there isn't room for both a cutter and a zinc on the shaft. Will I be OK with just the shaft brush and no zinc? I'd like to keep the cutter but only have room for one or the other.

Thanks

Last edited:

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
I agree but won't the shaft brush work the same as a shaft zinc? Hate to lose the cutter.

correct, the brush is tied in with the bonding system, in which should be tied in with the big zinc plate on the transom. I do suggest using a shaft zinc, for redundancy as all it takes is corrosion on one of the terminal end to knock out a brushes effectiveness. I also feel you should check the brushes continuity atleast twice a season if that is your only form of shaft protection

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
also good for redundancy is prop nut zinc

PropNut.jpg

GB32-Propeller-After.jpg

8943post

Commander
Boat Make
33 Duffy
Shaft brush should be enough. Why is there so much stray current where you are that it ate your propeller up though, that's troublesome.

New Bedford harbor filled with steel hulled F/V's, probably stray current from them and our marina. We're moving to Fairhaven Marina...hopefully the stray current issues won't be so bad there.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
What do you have for a outside bearing holder? How much room do you need?I have cut some of the cutlass off with a sawzall before to gain some room for both.Some times you can turn a little off the zinc also,or use the nut zinc.

southport05

Ensign
I'm over at Pope's Island Marina, and we don't have anywhere near that kind of problem with stray current. Hopefully your move to the shipyard will help a lot.

greg

Captain
I assume you have looked at the low profile zincs as well? They only take up an inch or so of shaft as opposed to 3 or so for the standard shaft zincs.

8943post

Commander
Boat Make
33 Duffy
Thanks Jerseysportfish...found a local company here in Mass., boatzincs.com , who sell the propnut zinc. Shaft brush and propnut zinc should ward off the electrolysis devil and allow room for the cutter!

Dano62

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
34' Wayne Beal
I'd never heard of a shaft brush/wiper until I read this thread. Seems like a pretty good idea. Anybody that is using one, I'd like to hear about how it's worked out for you, particularly if your using it without a shaft zinc. Even when you install a shaft zinc properly, it's kind of a crap shoot as to how long it will stay on, especially if you've had a piece of rope in the wheel. I don't have any stray current/galvanic corrosion issues, but I'm leaning toward trying the shaft brush/wiper. Looking on line, I've seen a simple ones priced between $40 and $90. Anybody recommend a particular one/best place to get one?

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Dano62,8943post is correct....west marine sells pro.mariner shaft brush for 29.99...and it works great

Dano62

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
34' Wayne Beal
Dano,you need to use a Godfrey collar zinc.They have a bronze collar that tightens up on the shaft.They aren't cheap,but neither are propellers.Hows things on Beals Island?

I looked at the Godrey Collars a few years back. They definitely look like they would be an improvement over the standard collar zinc, but I don't have the room between my prop hub and the end of my Cutlass bearing housing.

Things are still pretty quiet here on the rock. A few guys have set off, but not too much happening. It'll be a few more weeks before I put anything down.

Top Bottom