Shamrock Mackinaw vs

CMI

Ensign
Hello all. Been looking at a 26 shamrock mackinaw and was wondering what you guys think compared to a 25 bhm or a 26 sisu?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
My personal choice would be for the BHM or Sisu. I had the opportunity to ride on a 26 Shamrock and thought it was a little bow heavy and tended to plow a bit. But it was pretty solid. Also, I have seen other 26 Shamrock models equipped with twin motors. Why is all the extra power required? I'm not knocking the Shamrock, it is strictly my opinion. However, I am a fan of Lowell and Spencer Lincoln designs. Do you know who designed the Shamrock hull? That might give you something to look for. Just my 1 1/2 cents. Good luck with your hunting, and welcome to the DBF!

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
X2 on BHM .. There is a 25 in Maine on Facebook for $14k right now. If you PM me I'll send you guys name

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Shamrock is ok, Fortier would be my choice in that size. I had a shamrock for a while was a decent boat all considered. Some days it would pound the hell out of you but some days I would be amazed at the speed I could run in some shit. All had to do with steepness and spacing of the slop. Mine was never bow heavy in any way, But it sure was wet!

Leprechaun

Commander
Boat Make
26' Fortier
I've owned a 26 Fortier for 19 years ... 1981 hull ... been through a lot of weather .... some rides better than others but will get you home and go through almost anything. (splash coming back at you part of the excitement !!! )

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
Fortier 26

Fortier 26!!
After having owned a 1991 Fortier 26 for 13 years. I cannot say enough good about the boat. Hard chine and large cockpit makes for a great swimming, fishing, or Sunday afternoon picnic platform. We run it to the Vinyard and Nantucket and always feel safe. Mine has a small (170 hp) Yanmar and gives me a 14 knot cruise through about anything at less than 4 Gph. Find one with a 225 yanmar or Volvo and you'll do even better.
Rod Fortier is always willing to be helpfully and takes great pride in his boats as do so many other boat builders in the North East. Wherever we go we receive compliments on the boat. There are times that I would like to move up to a 30 plus DE however this boat just keeps on giving. It's a large 26 footer that has held its value very well. You won't be disappointed. ;)

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
33 uniflite (old capt gig), 26 shamrock, 15 skiff, 21 beach dory
3 things every slamrock owner needs; mask, snorkel, kidney belt,(make it four) good set of oil skins. I run one as a tow boat (10 yrs) and am looking for something else. Tough little boat though

Shamrock Fisher

Lieutenant
Boat Make
26ft Shamrock/6BT 210hp Cummins
My 26 Shamrock has served me well, not saying they are perfect. Tough boat and sips fuel with the cummins! To the fella that talked about 26 Shamrocks with twin engines. Bull crap. The 26 hull has always been a single engine keeled hull boat!!!

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
My 26 Shamrock has served me well, not saying they are perfect. Tough boat and sips fuel with the cummins! To the fella that talked about 26 Shamrocks with twin engines. Bull crap. The 26 hull has always been a single engine keeled hull boat!!!

I beg to differ cap. There has been a twin screw Shamrock 26 kicking around our waters. It was advertised on C.L. a few years back, and I recognized the boat. I was surprised to learn of the twins as well having only seen it in the river on occasion. It may be a one off or it may not be, but it is what it is, and that is no bull crap. Besides, why would I just make that up? It's not like I spotted big foot or something. :D

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
One offs happen. Years ago (like 10 years ago when the 26 just came out) I was offered a hush hush twin jackshaft I/O cummins 26 Steiger. They teamed up with cummins and it was a test boat.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
One offs happen. Years ago (like 10 years ago when the 26 just came out) I was offered a hush hush twin jackshaft I/O cummins 26 Steiger. They teamed up with cummins and it was a test boat.

They sure do. I'm not a big follower of Shamrock, so to me the twin engine model was more or less just another boat. Look at Grady...... Catamarans, flybridges, prop pocket straight inboards, jackshaft I/O's, diesel power, and who knows what else faded into the sunset over the years in favor of what is more commonly available. Tell that to the average Grady guy and they might think it is bull crap too.

Reelman955

Commander
First Name
Roy
Boat Make
New Boat 2015 24 Seaway w/115 Mercury Command Thrust/ Old Boat-2007 28 Seaworthy/BHM 315 Yanmar
Heres an odd one, atleast to me, down on the south shore of Long Island we have a 29 dyer with twin yanmars. I've never seen one with twins.

Shamrock Fisher

Lieutenant
Boat Make
26ft Shamrock/6BT 210hp Cummins
There was a 24 twin engine called a Grand Slam but not a 26. And also, the 26 has been out way longer than 10 years. The 26 has been built since back in the 70's.

Last edited:

Bawugna

Lieutenant
be careful and look closely

I was in the market for a pilot house style boat years ago and Shamrock was the most "known" boat I could identify with at the time.....I have learned so much since then......I was told to check closely along the centerline from stem to stern for a not-so hairline crack. I was also warned about a complete failure possibility along the stern on the centerline. I started paying close attention and here is what I found. EVERY Shamrock I looked at had a crack running the entire centerline. I saw one that failed completely and was repaired in the stern. I had a friend with a Mackinaw, older one, who asked me about a crack he noticed. It was the same one I was finding on ALL the Shamrocks I looked at. I started to run away from the possibility of getting a Shamrock and purchased the Hampton Shipyards Columbia II I have today. I also noticed that the engines and exhaust sytems in the Shamrocks were installed so tightly and so low in the bilge that they were more often than not a rusted mess.

Start looking closely at the hulls and you may run away too.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Heres an odd one, atleast to me, down on the south shore of Long Island we have a 29 dyer with twin yanmars. I've never seen one with twins.

That is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Shit happens for strange reasons, and there is a reason for everything. Manufacturers usually like to keep quiet as it hits the fan. Who can blame them?

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
CMI - I owned a Mackinaw... older ones with the keel - good hulls, but working on it sucked.... No room to get to the motor, you had to be Houdini to change the sparkplugs. Had to remove the heat exchanger to remove the starter. Motor down low, oil pans like to rust out and leak oil.... Decks leak water fuel tanks don't last too long, low headroom no good for a taller guy, wet, wet, wet ..... want more? I would go with a work boat in a heartbeat if you wanted to choose between the 2.

Top Bottom