Short halibut

Codcruncher

Rear Admiral
Lite User

Gph

Ensign
First Name
George
Not that great to see. I'm not in the finger pointing business but its certainly disappointing to see short halibuts handled that way. After the ride from the depths to the deck they're stressed already. The really short one in picture shouldn't have been brought on deck. The other one at most for quick measurement, at most. Save the hero shots for the keepers. This fishery is showing promise but up to us to keep it alive

Attachments

• Carefully Release Short CA Halibut_6.28.2017.pdf
    923.5 KB · Views: 39

Barnstable Seafood Co.

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Jake
Not that great to see. I'm not in the finger pointing business but its certainly disappointing to see short halibuts handled that way. After the ride from the depths to the deck they're stressed already. The really short one in picture shouldn't have been brought on deck. The other one at most for quick measurement, at most. Save the hero shots for the keepers. This fishery is showing promise but up to us to keep it alive
I agree.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
The fish aren’t bleeding, swim bladder isn’t out, haven’t been gaffed, look lively. What is the issue with a quick picture of what may be a once in a lifetime fish?

If you think commercially caught short halibut are handled gently and left in the water I have a bridge for sale.

As a charter captain I’m never going to discourage an angler from taking a picture of a healthy fish. I’m sure Tim feels the same.

John 40

Lieutenant Commander
I have no issue with pictures of short fish but I do cringe when I see their hand jammed in the gills to hold it up.

Codcruncher

Rear Admiral
Lite User

Gph

Ensign
First Name
George
You didn't even gaff them! But since we live in the "look at how awesome I am", its OK because you'll get some " likes"

Codcruncher

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Last edited:

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
You didn't even gaff them! But since we live in the "look at how awesome I am", its OK because you'll get some " likes"
The word "clueless" comes to mind. There's nothing wrong with those fish or how they're being held. It's your opinion that's way off base here. No one that has done a fair amount of ground fishing would agree with you. I handle a couple hundred fluke (summer flounder) every year. The smaller ones are easy to squeeze with one hand over the back around the gill openings. Try holding a mid 30" fish that way and see how it goes.

No one that fishes with a rod and reel is the cause of the issues with that fishery. To pick on how an angler is holding a fish prior to release is BS!

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
22-ft. Tripp Angler inboard; 15-foot RP punt
Are there any studies to be cited that can shed light on release mortality when these fish swim away energetically, neither bleeding, mutilated, nor otherwise distressed appearing?

Last edited:

Gph

Ensign
First Name
George
Discard rate is low for recreational fishing with circle hooks. However handling techniques are crucial. My point was in those particular photos, as pointed out on this thread, the handling was awful. It's up to the crew to educate their passengers on importance of protecting these resources. Let's think about limiting the DE forum to boats in the future.

Attachments

• HalibutDiscards907.pdf
    262.8 KB · Views: 8

Gph

Ensign
First Name
George
Forgot to mention that some of the keyboard cowboys spewing on this thread might consider this is supposed to be a friendly group united over boats. Not talking about halibut swim bladders, which in 25 years of fishing them commercially in AK & 10 off Maine, never saw single flat fish with a swim bladder dude.

Codcruncher

Rear Admiral
Lite User

Codcruncher

Rear Admiral
Lite User

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Forgot to mention that some of the keyboard cowboys spewing on this thread might consider this is supposed to be a friendly group united over boats. Not talking about halibut swim bladders, which in 25 years of fishing them commercially in AK & 10 off Maine, never saw single flat fish with a swim bladder dude.
20+ years ago it was common to see pics of fish that were bleeding, held up by a gaff thru the jaw, swim bladder hanging out etc. No one bitched. People post pics of dead fish. No one bitches. But post a pic of a fish held by the gill cover and it's awful. Even though it's not bleeding and the filaments may never have been touched.

This is a fishing forum. Spare us your self righteous BS! The boating forums are above. You may want to stay there if you want to avoid conflict with other fisherman.

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
22-ft. Tripp Angler inboard; 15-foot RP punt
As for actual studies regarding hook and line release mortality for groundfish, I only am aware of the Massachusetts DMF study on Cod and Haddock. Hook and line gear release mortality was estimated, I have been told, at 15% for Atlantic Cod in the Gulf of Maine.

No such study has been done for Halibut by any agency that I know.

In the absence of any such study, we can only go on our personal opinions of what is common sense, mine being, reduce time on the hook (use heavy gear); circle hooks for bait; handle as gently as is practicable (Halibut can break your arm); don't do anything to cause it to bleed.

Top Bottom