should i expect better?

aweigh again

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
i have a 22 foot sisu that is powered by a 4 stroke outboard .during the past season,i noticed the transom slightly moving whenever i raised,or lowered the engine.i started to worry ,so i had it checked out.turns out ,the transom area where the engine mounted was built with balsa core.it was wet,and compressed,and was going to fail.i decided to have it rebuilt.after the job was done,i started to reconnect the outboard steering cable,and controls,and i could not get the steering cable piston into the steering tube on the engine. the transom had been built up too thick in this area.at that point,the shop ground down part of the new build in order to let the piston clear in all possible positions.the resulting job was still strong,but it is not a work of art to look at. the gel coat on the entire transom is pure white instead of the off white that it should be. the engine mounting bolts were never tightened down,and my trailer lock was lost.the business owner just had too many things going on on to keep my little job straight.does any body think i should complain and try to get a better job,or just make the best of what i got. the price for transom job was $3200. dollars

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Did you pay him in full? If not he should make you happy before he gets paid. He should do it either way but it's easier if you have his money. You should get the job you were quoted on.

aweigh again

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
yes, i did pay him in full. when i got the boat back home ,the more i looked at the areas where they had to grind off material,coupled with the boats original off white interior gelcote now having a pure white transom ,it just got to me. the person who did the job did not think he could ever perfectly match the gelcote ,so he went with simple and quick.

yanmar

Captain
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
Lesson learned , I too always had too much trust in people and had occasionally gotten the short end of the stick . Now i have to be less trust worthy of people and never pay in full till the job is 100 % done and clean for inspection . It sucks but thats the way it is , way to many HACKS in the feilds today .................

Usko

Ensign
Call the guy...let him know your concerns while keeping the tone positive.

aweigh again

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
i took the advise of calling the guy back,and calmly stated my complaints with the job.then he calmly agreed to take care of the stated issues at no additional cost to me.he did not want an unhappy customer,who would have figured?apparently not me!thanks to all who responded with the solid advise . aweigh again

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

aweigh again

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
the name of the business is lbi. legnos boat incorporated, located in groton ct.they used to make their own boats.now ,most of their work is making fiberglass devices for the navy.they also have a fiberglass boat builders supply store. boat repair is not their sole business right now.

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I'm glad to hear that customer service is still strong. Making it right will give him more clients in the end.

Top Bottom