Shower Sump vs. Direct to Bilge Shower Water Drain.

NC_Colfax

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Planning a shower in the head on my Dyer 29, wife request. Should I plan to install a shower sump with separate pump or just pipe it into the bilge?
Have a sump with pump. Never used it, most Marina's s have showers. Might suggest you install shower in rear of boat rigged to fresh water and hot water . Runs out the scuppers.

Landlocked2

Lieutenant
First Name
Dave
Boat Make
Eastern 31
Planning a shower in the head on my Dyer 29, wife request. Should I plan to install a shower sump with separate pump or just pipe it into the bilge?
I had a the shower drain into the bilge on my last boat. Not great: developed an unpleasant smell and seemed to contribute to general filth sloshing around down there. I wouldn't ever go that way again.

Cool Boat

Captain

freeshipping.png

Rule 800 GPH Shower Drain System
We used one of these for over twenty years on the trawler. The long screen really catches the hair.

NC_Colfax

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

leaky

Admiral
BTW even if you do need a sump, there is nothing stopping you from closing off a small area of keel/bilge where your shower is. A lot of boats don't have room for much under the shower, certainly not the pictured contraption.

Also depends on how you plan on using the shower. If it's a worst case scenario thing, rinse off on the way in to save time kinda thing, marina showers all being used, probably doesn't matter dumping it in the bilge - likely isn't any worse than what is normally in there.

If you got 200 gallons of fresh water that gets used 30 gallons at a time for every shower and you live on the boat, especially with females involved, ya I could definitely see a big mess and need for a sump.

Top Bottom