Sick Day - Time for rant of the day

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
The recall of imported seacocks by Groco (as posted on the thread "Should I replace my Seacocks?") is just another thing that pushes my buttons on the import front. I am not here to bash Groco or determine if their design is good or bad. The word IMPORTED stuck out and lit my fuse this morning. Maybe it's all the cough medicine, but I doubt it. We used to manufacture everything under the sun right here in the good ol' U - S - of A. Now we don't. As a consumer I have been told that I demand "inexpensive" shit. Really? I do not recall taking that survey. Do you? And I'm the first to say that all "shit" is not necessarily inexpensive. There is "good shit" and there is "bad shit". Note that I am using the term "inexpensive" to avoid confusion with the term "cheap". Here is my question for the forum: If China began importing D.E. styled hulls at a fraction of the cost for a true D.E. hull, would you buy one? This is for a complete hull or kit boat only, No power included. You can always power it with your choice of engine. Let's just use a Duffy clone by Atlantic Boat.....but not cloned quite close enough for legal matters. Just a nice looking and very well performing hull that blends right into the D.E. front. What the heck, lets say it is a Spencer Lincoln design made exclusively for the Wei Duffee Tu Boat Mfg. Co. Inc. Ltd. (WTF?) In your answer, please give a brief reason for your logic. Please don't drag trawlers into this because most of them are imported anyway.

Last edited:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Is the Wei Duffee Tu Boat Mfg. Co. Inc. Ltd. boat safe (will it sink)? Is the engine reliable?

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Actually, the DEBF members are probably not a good representation of the entire population. But, this should be a good "pop-corn and pull up a seat" thread :D.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Is the Wei Duffee Tu Boat Mfg. Co. Inc. Ltd. boat safe (will it sink)? Is the engine reliable?

Good point. It is safe. I was actually just targeting the complete hull or the hull kit. You can choose the power, just like you can if you order a new Duffy. By all means, grab some popcorn. Step right up and give an answer.............

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
So what if the hulls were tested and certified to be as good as US built and less than half the price and on sale at Costco? Remember you get to pick and install all the guts where and how you want.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
We all know what members of this forum would say. But most American's???

You don't even have to go as extreme as making it a Chinese boat. How many of these have sold?

DSC02732.JPG

tens-of-thousands?

cb34

Rear Admiral
Yamaha

Most guys have a hard time buying a downeast style hull laid up in Maryland, China...... no thanks.
What kind of power do I see on the back of that parker:eek::D

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
So what if the hulls were tested and certified to be as good as US built and less than half the price and on sale at Costco? Remember you get to pick and install all the guts where and how you want.

Bingo. This is the scenario I would like to see honest answers for......minus the Costco distributorship. It would be through a factory rep of some sort, located here in the states.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
History repeating itself... Japan chipped away at US manufacturing 40 years ago. Korea did the same to Japan 20 years ago. Today it's China going after Korean manufacturing... What will be next?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
...But lets assume that the quality issues of yesterday have all been addressed for the D.E. hull discussion, and the importing has just started. What will happen?

Easy. It would be a successful venture. Most Americans outside of DEBF would buy such a boat if it saved them money.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
IF that were to happen and thats a big IF, I believe money would talk for the most part. As I said earlier for me one of the bigest parts of having a boat built was the first meeting and the ensuing conversation. For instance "five generations of boat building", being taken down onto his sons 33' for a ride unannounced just so I could see and feel how it goes and getting a feel for a mans values and future position and potential aspirations in the boat building world, small as it may be.
Do not get me wrong I am not down playing or criticizing others or your desire to take advantage of potential lower cost boat building oportunities for me it seems that I always get what I pay for and when I am not paying much I am not usually getting much.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
We still have john deere. They make a waaayyyyy better marine engine than any hunk of shit yanmar.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
Top Bottom