First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Baggywrinkle

Lieutenant
Boat Make
RP Boat Shop Willis Beal 31
My first mate would really like that side boarding door!

Baggywrinkle

Lieutenant
Boat Make
RP Boat Shop Willis Beal 31
But I would lose the place where I stow my boat hook and my discount “YETI”.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
Wow, have been thinking the same recently as I am looking at Novi's outboard skiffs like the Leblanc for something the lobster out of. Being an outboard you would be tied up side too on the float so would make boarding and possibly loading bait in totes or barrels easier. Also take strain off the roof because most people would hold onto or pulling themselves up using the roof for balance when climbing over the gunnel.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
Yes, Part of the thought process is maybe doing some Lobster or sunset tours so making it easier to get people on and off the boat. Keep meaning to stop and look at a few on the higher end CC's at the marina

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
looking at the top picture it almost looks like a stainless frame on the outside of the hull. Wonder if instead of hinges to swing it could be made with grooves to just slide straight up and be pulled out with some latches underneath to lock it in place. Stainless on outboard and inside side and the panel just sits between them. No need to hinge the top of the gunnel as the whole piece comes out as one and keeps some strength and integrity.

Sort of like you see on the transom of some open stern lobster boats, when bringing gear home they will just slide the stern or some boards in.

squanstuart

Lieutenant
The issue with side opening doors in the hull is you give up a tremendous amount of under gunwale space for stowing rods, gaffs etc. In terms of the amount of times you will actually use the door compared to what you give up stowage wise and have to rearrange the cockpit, I believe the feature is oversold. My friend bought a boat with the side door and when we fish it's a pain because on the side of the door it was necessary for the builder to give up typical flush rod holder spots due to the door. I always tell people when they are looking at boats in a boat show do not let first impressions sell you.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
As far as that goes, everyone will have different needs there. I've never used the space under my gunnels for storage, so it's not an issue for me, but I can definitely see it being a problem for some.
I agree in that it depends on the use of the boat. Still have the other side full gunnel for stowage or a rocket launcher to stow rods. Personally I don't own a rod, growing up I was always the one driving the boat when wen fishing with my buddies because I found staring a a pole waiting for it bend was boring. More interested in looking at the bottom on the machine.

My son is a teen now so beyond those days, actually trust him more on the boat than my wife.

I still like the side door as an option think it will keep people away from stern if swimming, away from trim tabs or prop etc

John, if you have pics from the Crowley would like to see

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I have one on my FL boat and only really use it to get in/out of the dinghy. No real use dockside.
If not designed into the original layup, I would think you would be loosing a lot of strength in your hull especially as it got closer to amidship. I would never do it to an existing hull.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
Top Bottom