Simrad AP2802 Autopilot System new in box

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Bought this system this spring for my boat then found out(thanks wharf rat) that the AC42 computer will not work with a 12 volt steering solenoid, i need a AP12 computer. I only opened the boxes to take the pictures, complete set is brand new with all warranty, installation & user manuals. $2800 plus shipping.

P5180465.jpg

P5180465.jpg

Last edited:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Can't you just sell the computer and buy the AC12? For the record I did the same thing but I was able to return the unit.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Unfortunately it seems the online outfit that sold Steve the system (which will remain nameless unless Steve wants to unleash his Alaskan wrath) are being dickheads and not accepting the unit as a return and refunding Steve the difference, which is around $500 I think. Meanwhile, those guys don't even keep an inventory, they just use distributors who gladly accept returns provided there is another order. Steve's price of 2,800 is a very good deal on what is the best autopilot on the market, less than what he paid for the damn thing. If anyone is looking for a deal and to help out a fellow DE Forum Brother, I'd take a close look at the opportunity. Best of luck, Steve, let me know if I can be of any more help.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Unfortunately it seems the online outfit that sold Steve the system (which will remain nameless unless Steve wants to unleash his Alaskan wrath) are being dickheads and not accepting the unit as a return and refunding Steve the difference, which is around $500 I think. Meanwhile, those guys don't even keep an inventory, they just use distributors who gladly accept returns provided there is another order. Steve's price of 2,800 is a very good deal on what is the best autopilot on the market, less than what he paid for the damn thing. If anyone is looking for a deal and to help out a fellow DE Forum Brother, I'd take a close look at the opportunity. Best of luck, Steve, let me know if I can be of any more help.

Chris,
They will take the whole thing back for a exchange but the weird part is that they won't tell me what amount if any "restocking fees" they will charge me until they have the system? So in my eyes they can tell me anything and charge me whatever they want for the restock fee, once they have it in their possession, kind of a dirtbag deal to my way of thinking. Oh yeah once they accept the return they want me to order another system so they don't have to refund me to much money i guess. I hope i can sell it to somebody on here but if not then i guess i'll send it back to them and take my lashes.
Once this is all over i'll tell you guys who i ordered it from and the whole story and how it was handled. It was my mistake in ordering the wrong computer/system but i think they could/can take it back and do a simple swap for the right system and thats all i'm asking them to do, i could see giving me a hard time if i only wanted to return it for a refund.

pjop

Ensign
Steve,
I'm in the market for an ap2802 for my sailboat. Since my steering is mechanical, I think I won't have your solenoid problem, but I will have to double check with Simrad first. I did my research on autopilots and from what I can tell this is the machine that all you hard core mariners use off the Coast of Alaska where the slightest of error can cost lives. So the ap2808 is my choice for getting me down to the Keys and back, not comparable to the PCW but after a few hand steering trips, I want the best of the best. Unfortunately, as you are aware, they're not giving these things away. However, i have found one on line for $2,666.00 including shipping (Star Marine Depot). I'm not sure how much you paid for yours, but I'm willing to purchase yours for a total of $2,250.00 which includes shipping, if the warranty transfers and I confirm again that this is the correct unit for my boat. I know it appears low but for $400.00 more I can receive an unopened box and have recourse with the seller if there is a problem. Of course, I am sure you are selling yours as is, so I'm loosing a bit of piece of mind that nothing was damaged during delivery to you. It is my guess that you paid around $3K and are knocking off you couple of hundred since the box is opened. If the restocking fee is 15% that's $450.00 loss to you. I find it hard to believe it would be any more than that. (also have you checked whether they put you on notice of this restocking fee?). If not, you should be able to threaten legal action, even if you took them to court yourself, it would cost them a lot more in legal fees. Anyway, typical lawyer long winded offer to purchase, but just wanted to be fair with you and explain the basis of my offer and also give you some suggestions regarding recouping you money. Well, give me a call and let me know. I just joined this site to communicate with you it wuld best to email or call.

Pete Palughi
[email protected]
(251) 605-5916

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve,
I'm in the market for an ap2802 for my sailboat. Since my steering is mechanical, I think I won't have your solenoid problem, but I will have to double check with Simrad first. I did my research on autopilots and from what I can tell this is the machine that all you hard core mariners use off the Coast of Alaska where the slightest of error can cost lives. So the ap2808 is my choice for getting me down to the Keys and back, not comparable to the PCW but after a few hand steering trips, I want the best of the best. Unfortunately, as you are aware, they're not giving these things away. However, i have found one on line for $2,666.00 including shipping (Star Marine Depot). I'm not sure how much you paid for yours, but I'm willing to purchase yours for a total of $2,250.00 which includes shipping, if the warranty transfers and I confirm again that this is the correct unit for my boat. I know it appears low but for $400.00 more I can receive an unopened box and have recourse with the seller if there is a problem. Of course, I am sure you are selling yours as is, so I'm loosing a bit of piece of mind that nothing was damaged during delivery to you. It is my guess that you paid around $3K and are knocking off you couple of hundred since the box is opened. If the restocking fee is 15% that's $450.00 loss to you. I find it hard to believe it would be any more than that. (also have you checked whether they put you on notice of this restocking fee?). If not, you should be able to threaten legal action, even if you took them to court yourself, it would cost them a lot more in legal fees. Anyway, typical lawyer long winded offer to purchase, but just wanted to be fair with you and explain the basis of my offer and also give you some suggestions regarding recouping you money. Well, give me a call and let me know. I just joined this site to communicate with you it wuld best to email or call.

Pete Palughi
[email protected]
(251) 605-5916

Thanks for the generous offer but i'll pass, i'll send it back and take my chances on the restock fee's. It might be a coincidence but a guy on ebay offered me the same great deal.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Score! Let me know via PM how it went, and if you are still in need of an AC12 system. Congrats on unloading it.

Chris,
The folks where i bought the pilot from (Anchor Marine) let me return the system and gave me a full credit or refund. I'm still going to go with a Simrad system but i know i won't have the time to install it this year so i'm going to put off buying until later this fall/winter no use having a system sitting in the box with the warranty running on it and not installed in the boat.

Top Bottom