Simrad error message: invalid radar source

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by LMcF, Oct 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LMcF

LMcF Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    I recently installed an Evo 3 and 4g radar from Simrad. Everything has been working well, but at the start of two recent trips, I booted the evo and got a message that the radar source was invalid. I could not get radar to work in overlay or normal mode. About 30 minutes into each trip, it just started working. Any ideas welcome. I will call service and the folks I bought it from but am interested to see if anyone has had a similar experience. Thanks

LMcF,
  2. captjohn

captjohn Captain

Retired field engineer, aircraft
    Boat Make:
    Henriques
    Call SIMRAD customer support from a cell phone when your at the boat. The earlier in the morning, the better. They should be able to help you, they are very knowledgeable, this is no call center in India. The number is 1-800-628-4487, they should be able to walk you through everything over the phone.

LMcF likes this.
  3. LMcF

LMcF Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    Thanks

LMcF,
  4. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    My kids both built new boats with new simrad stuff, and the dependability has been way less than expected.

Blitzen likes this.
  5. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    That is very good information. Leaning back towards Furuno now.

6. LMcF

LMcF Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    I don’t know what other newer radars are like but the 4G is very sharp. Of course if I have lots of issues that won’t matter. Rest of the package: auto pilot and Evo3 working well in first season. I ran the boat yesterday and radar issued had disappeared again. Worked great. Still need to call support. Will post results

LMcF,
  7. captjohn

captjohn Captain

Retired field engineer, aircraft
    Boat Make:
    Henriques
    I've been using SIMRAD for years, I have some new stuff, some old. Only problem was an AIRMAR transducer, bought through SIMRAD, that failed after only a few months. Called Customer Support, walked me through the test, when they confirmed it was bad they shipped me out a new one, free of charge. Yea, it was a pain getting the old one out, but they did all they could.

8. LMcF

LMcF Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    I called Simrad today and got someone on the line after about a 10 minute wait. Person was fairly helpful and suggested next steps, namely testing voltage to unit.

I went for a ride and ended up playing around with the cables between the radar controller box and the network. I think I found the issue: user error. I had an extra cable going into N2000 network. I think the second cable I installed was not required for my set up. Radar works now. We will see if it keeps working next week, probably my last week in the water this season .

LMcF,