Simrad NSS 12

On the mark

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Sisu 30
I read many posts of people on this forum talking about Chris at precision marine. I went there today to discuss new electronics for my sisu 30 and he was a huge help. He explained everything I needed to know in great detail. I'm thinking of going with a simrad nss12 chart plotter and a feruno fcv 587 with 1000 watt transducer. I'm going to sleep on it tonight but I'm sure i will be making the deal with him soon. Any feedback on these units would be greatly appreciated

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
Go look them up on line. I got the 12 inch NSN with a 4G radar for close to half of what I would have paid for it in a local store,

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
How about service? I took my autopilot up to the place where I bought it locally. It needed a new board, but I had it back a couple of hours later.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I have the NSS8 and kick myself in the ass for not going to the NSS12. I just added Sirius weather and love it, also have the 3G radar I believe.

The keyboard on screen is awesome for saving points and DATA.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
Never had a problem with a Simrad product. Also, none of the places near me actually repair units, they send them out, which I can do on my own.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
One pet peeve, but I think all are doing this now... Is having to update software on them to get newer products to work. I believe I had 2.0 on my NSS8, had to move up to 3.0 to get the Sirius to work. Wish I got the NSS12, but may have buy the NSS 7 to just use it for the radar... so cheap now...

Ambrosia Mae

Ensign
NSS vs NSE12

I installed the NSE12 (two displays) with the 6kw open array over the past two years and have been very happy with it. I didn't want the touch screen, as I fish a lot and who needs bloody fingerprints on the screen?

Also, the NSE has one feature that the NSS does not: video out. Since I have a flybridge boat, and my electronics are all up there, this allows me to repeat one device and display it on my tv in the salon. That's great for overnight tuna trips so the crew can see what's being displayed on the FF and drop a jig when we have tuna under the boat.

I've also been very happy with Simrad's customer service when I've had to use it.
Bob

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I've had two issues with my Simrad... Once when it was a hardware issue, they literally sent me a new unit, all I had to go was go to the UPS store and give them a return ticket number, they had it to me next day, maybe because it was coming out of NH. Second was a weird little issue and afraid of it as I think I've seen it on my NSE8 and NSS8. The unit like doesnt show position or locks up or after installing new software. Its almost like you have to disconnect all the ethernet cables from the unit, disconnect power cord and start from scratch... So before calling customer service make sure you do this...

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
As I understand it the NSS units are very nice but as most know Simrad is owned by Navico,as is Northstar, and if you have problems or need repairs you are not going to be happy in all likelihood. Wharfrat may give his opinion on this, he's very knowledgeable on the subject. I believe that all service work on the Navico units go to Mexico and come back whenever they feel like sending it. Been there done that with a 6000 series Northstar, never again for me.

Ambrosia Mae

Ensign
I did have one serious problem with the first nse12 I installed. About 3 months after I installed it, it went black on me while fishing locally. It came back on its own a couple hours later. I called Simrad, but couldn't recreate the problem. The tech told me that I could return it to them for investigation, but when I reminded him it was mid season, he suggested that I return it to West Marine, where I bought it. It seemed to be working fine, so I took no action at that time. Two months later it did it again, but this time 100 miles out at Atlantis. My backup Ray system saved the trip.

When I got back in, I took it to West and they got it replaced with a new unit. They even had Simrad overnight it to me and I had it the next day.

I've had no problems since.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I think all these new units have little tidbits like this... neighbor has had problems with his Garmin and Standard Horizon too.

I like my new replacement antenna I got for my 951X, for some god damn reason it only works during daylight... lol...

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I think that those units as well as the newer 6000 series northstars overheated and the screens would black out until they cooled.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
That is one thing that worries me, I notice when the sun in shining on my bow, that my dash mounted NSS8 gets REALLY hot. At first I thought it was just overheading. Might need to do something about it. I do wish they were flush mounted with ventillation holes or a tiny solar powered fan just circulating some air, kinda like a lower level muffin fan on a computer.

Top Bottom