Simrad or Comnav autopilot ??

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
AP

Steve,

I have used both and prefer the Simrad over trhe ComNav and intend to install one myself and most likely go with the AP35.

Respectfully,

Dave

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
What kind of steering do you have on your H&h? I have my second Simrad and happy with it. Never used a Comnav though.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Having a limited knowledge of the subject, I have Hydro Slave steering and my pump is on the front end of my Cat. I have not heard of running a pump off the transmission. Is running the pump off the transmission common?

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Also have simrad that works great. If buying new then it will have a rate gyro. If old unit make sure you have the RC35R or newer compass since downsea affects on our DE needs the better compass more times than not and I do not know what the comnav uses.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Alot of lobster boats are running thier haulers off the transmission.No drive shafts or belts.

Wow running haulers off of the gear?? Never heard of that. I know they are running the Pacer washdown/live tank pumps off of the power steering pumps. My hydro pump runs off the front of the engine, no belt.

P5020306.jpg

P5020306.jpg

Last edited:

BHM31

Lieutenant
I have had the COMNAV 1420 Series in my boat for 4 years now and I’m happy with it. It’s no Simrad but it does what I need and its around 1/3 the cost. I was replacing an existing AP and was able to use the previous pump w/o any issues. I think I paid $900 for the entire system minus the pump. Installation was fairly simple and quick thanks to the pump already being in place. I have it interfaced with a Lowrance GPS and it was an easy interface since all that was needed to connect to the NMEA output/input was some speaker wire. Easy to calibrate , has a good range of settings, tracks good and is fast in most sea conditions. I just go it with the fluxgate compass but you can get an optional Heading Rate Stabilizer which supposedly helps in very rough conditions but I’ve never had the need for it. Unit is simple to operate and if you’re not looking to spend a lot and have a reliable AP w/o all the bells and whistles, COMNAV may be the way to go.

Hope this helps.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I have had the COMNAV 1420 Series in my boat for 4 years now and I’m happy with it. It’s no Simrad but it does what I need and its around 1/3 the cost. I was replacing an existing AP and was able to use the previous pump w/o any issues. I think I paid $900 for the entire system minus the pump. Installation was fairly simple and quick thanks to the pump already being in place. I have it interfaced with a Lowrance GPS and it was an easy interface since all that was needed to connect to the NMEA output/input was some speaker wire. Easy to calibrate , has a good range of settings, tracks good and is fast in most sea conditions. I just go it with the fluxgate compass but you can get an optional Heading Rate Stabilizer which supposedly helps in very rough conditions but I’ve never had the need for it. Unit is simple to operate and if you’re not looking to spend a lot and have a reliable AP w/o all the bells and whistles, COMNAV may be the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the post and i'll take another look at the comnav's, they are very popular in this part of the world.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
You hook it up to a power supply, 12/24 volt depending on which model you get and how your boat is wired, then when you feed information into via your autopilot and rudder position sensor it engages the pump spinning it one way or the other to push your hydraulic fluid through the proper plumbing to move your rudder. Just tee off your existing steering lines.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Here's what i got from the guy in Rockland at Hydro Slave. I wanted to use a hydro valve instead of a steering helm for one of my steering stations so that what the top #400 is the valve number and the solenoid valve was $575.
img299.jpg

img299.jpg

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

Latest Posts

Top Bottom