Sisu 22 help

Discussion in '"Pocket" Downeast Boats (14-24ft)' started by Skipperchuck, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Skipperchuck

Skipperchuck Member

I have a 2014 Eastern Sisu with a Yamaha 115. I can’t seem to locate the hour meter for the motor. Maybe there isn’t one, I’m more used to a I/O so fewer options than I’m used to.
    Also, is there any way to increase the steering angle of the motor, get more side to side? It seems to be a little tough controlling at low speeds.
    And any good ideas for cleaning the rough no slip floor?
    I really love the way this boat cruises compared to a deep V, so nice, I’ll take a little slower ride and no slamming.
    Thanks for any help or advice.

2. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Hi , I have a Yamaha 115 on a similar hull, Novi, round chine. You will do better using short bursts of speed around the docks to turn the boat quicker. Thrust is your pal when using an outboard to steer. I whip mine around tight turns by coming in slow at first and goosing her with wheel hard over and quickly letting off the throttle to coast.. sisu ride nice. 15 knots through light chop and hardly a slam.

3. Skipperchuck

Skipperchuck Member

Thanks, great advice, yes the ride is so nice!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  4. DBthal

DBthal Senior Member

Skipperchuck,

I also have a 2014 Eastern Sisu with a Yamaha F115.

As rigged by Eastern, there is no hour gauge for the outboard. I connected the F115 to my Chartplotter and get hours, mpg, gph, etc.

As Novivin said, “short bursts” of power help turn the boat quickly in tight quarters. There are times I also wish there was a wider range of angle in the steering.

Dan

Skipperchuck likes this.
  5. Skipperchuck

Skipperchuck Member

Thanks, Dan, I really appreciate your help. I’m going to try to connect the motor to my chartplotter over the winter, it would be really nice to have an hour readout and GPH.
    You and Novivin give great advice concerning the handling of this type of boat and I thank you both.

-Chuck

6. Spence

Spence Senior Member

Dan is correct. There are tachometers that have the hour meter built in but Eastern doesn't install them as standard-wish I'd thought to ask. I also linked my Lowrance chart plotter and engine(115 Yam) and get instant mpg but haven't found gph yet. I'm hoping to get that from the fuel flow meter that I've just had installed but haven't worked with much yet. Pointers most welcome.

Skipperchuck likes this.
  7. Skipperchuck

Skipperchuck Member

Thanks, Spence. I have a fuel gauge that seems to be inaccurate (Shows full even though it was down 15 gallons from full) so it would be nice to have a rough idea of hours, I'll just log the hours run for the rest of this season and make an estimate.(And carry a jug of fuel)
    Was the install for the fuel flow meter install complicated?
    Thanks for all the great posts, I've read a lot of your stuff and was interested in a Sea Way 24, but there were very few used ones for sale this summer.
    I appreciate all the great input here.
    -Chuck

bassgrip likes this.
  8. EZ1

EZ1 Senior Member

boat builder
    Boat Make:
    Freya
    Hour meters are cheap. Just hookup to your ignition switch.

EZ1,
    Skipperchuck likes this.
  9. Spence

Spence Senior Member

Chuck, the fuel flow meter isn't a tough install but I had my tech do it as part of other work. It's just cut the fuel line insert the meter and plug into your CP. Make sure you shorten you fuel line enough to compensate for the add on. Good as my tech is, he didn't shorten it enough and the line kinked several feet away from the install-to be discovered on a charter-not a happy deal. And yeah, I've never owned a fuel gauge on anything that was good for anything beyond broad guidance

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    bassgrip and Skipperchuck like this.
  10. Skipperchuck

Skipperchuck Member

Good to know, thanks Spence and EZ1.

11. Obrocmc

Obrocmc New Member

We wash our Sisu's deck with a truck and trailer brush. Zep makes it. It is somewhat soft.
    We never saw a hour meter on the motor. We just keep a log. I noticed that the engine doesn't swing to far also.
    We haven't has an issue with it though.

Skipperchuck likes this.
  12. fordy

fordy Senior Member

This is an old thread but you should just get a lowrance fish finder with nmea connection capability. Then buy the nmea starter kit $100

a wire runs from the fish finder to the grey plug under the cowling. The gps will display the info you want like rpm, battery level, mpg, and tons more. You can also set the total fuel onboard and it will track how much you had vs used. I dont even have a fuel tank sender because this system is so accurate!

So you dont need a fuel flow meter installed on newer engines nor an hour meter. It's all done with a wire to the motor and nmea backbone

Skipperchuck likes this.
  13. Spence

Spence Senior Member

I can't figure out how to read gallons burned on the nmea connection so I installed the flow meter. What am I missing? I'd like the comfort of knowing how much gas I have. Thanks

Skipperchuck likes this.
  14. RobBaker

RobBaker Member

Boat Make:
    Eastern Sisu 22
    May be dependent on your chart plotter? Which chart plotter do you have? I've started running the wiring for the network but won't know what I have until May when it hits the water for the first time. I'm thinking that some chart plotters know what to do with the engine signal and some don't?

Skipperchuck likes this.
  15. Spence

Spence Senior Member

I have the lowrance hd7 from 2013. Having a hard time finding good owners manual type material on either the connector kit or the flow meter. If its on Lowrance's web site I'm not finding it. The other likely possibility is that its operator error not a deficiency in the machine.

Skipperchuck likes this.
  16. fordy

fordy Senior Member

Does your gps have a page dedicated to engine status? It should be there somewhere

Skipperchuck likes this.
  17. Spence

Spence Senior Member

Yes. It will show me mpg, engine temp and hours (maybe other data). I'm hoping the flow meter will tell me fairly precisely how much gas I've burned since fill up

Skipperchuck likes this.
  18. south shore

south shore Senior Member

Millwright/Mechanic/Retired
    Boat Make:
    25 Northern Bay
    Lowrance web page usually has manuals that you can download.
    If you can't find it they have a tech line you can leave an email of your issue on and most of the time they have gotten back to me within 24 hrs. And the info was correct.
    They may ask for a model and serial# . so I would include them in the first email

19. Spence

Spence Senior Member

thanks south shore, I've looked through the manual can't find anything related to the flow meter or the nmea kit, will look again. I'll also send another e-mail, the first got no reply but that happens to all of us. I they need the serial number this wi

Skipperchuck likes this.
  20. Skipperchuck

Skipperchuck Member

Thanks, fordy.