Sisu 22 inboard vs Webbers Cove 22

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
If you're already torn between two women, you're in deep shit! :D
I believe that Spencer Lincoln designed the Webco and Royal Lowell designed the Sisu. Both excellent designers. Are both of these inboard? You might want to read Frigates story about his Sisu explosion.

Last edited:
Frigates story is another example of why I'm sticking with diesel and going with new construction so I can personally see how everything is put together.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
What are you looking at for power? I am planning on converting the 350 gas engine in my boat over to diesel when the time comes but space is limited. Yanmar seems like the logical choice, but I would rather have some American made iron in the bilge if possible. I need to maintain my 18 knot cruising speed.

John Deere would be my first choice but most of the builders seem to prefer Yanmars in the 110 -125 hp range. I'd be happy with a 15 knot cruise.

novivin

Captain
Big Difference

The webbers cove has some chine rails, lift rails/spray rails depending on how you think of them, just below the true waterline.

The sisu is now made by eastern (as the rosborough 22 seaskiff model they recently acquired). I think a permutation still is made in maine.

I think the beam on the webber's cove is carried differently on the length than the sisu. The eastern / seaskiff "rosborough" has the same waterline-molded in chine rails.

Both boats seem similar, but probably perform a little different, I would suspect the lowell design is better in the chop, the bow is deeper and sheer greater.

Personally, I like the Royal Lowell boat better, it is a lot prettier and may perform better.

I have no personal experience, but have seen many, considered a lot before I bought my novi. I am glad I got what I got. Novi's don't get lots of love on this site but some are awesome sea boats. Like the Maine lobsterboat, there are many different novi hulls.

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
my 1983 sisu 22 has a lot of balsa core in its construction. i don't know about the webbers cove. I am sure the balsa core adds up to better fuel savings, but I would try to make sure there has not been any decay of coring due to water intrusion over the years.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Lowell bros in Yarmouth have a sisu mold and would surely give you a better looking finished boat. Easterns rosborough sea skiff sisu has a reworked deck and house and trunk cabin. It has the boxier novi look.
Just my opinion

I've been trying to contact Lowell Bros but they apparently do not answer their phone or return phone calls :-(
Grey Barn has the original Sisu mold and does beautiful work but will only sell a completed boat and I want to do some work myself.
Pemaquid Harbor has the webco molds so I am looking at them closely.
I would like to use a John Deere diesel and think the Webco hull would handle the weight better.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I've been trying to contact Lowell Bros but they apparently do not answer their phone or return phone calls :-(
Grey Barn has the original Sisu mold and does beautiful work but will only sell a completed boat and I want to do some work myself.
I would like to use a John Deere diesel and think the Webco hull would handle the weight better.

4cyl Deere correct ????

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I feel your frustration george.
Not too long ago I emailed lowell bros with a few questions. They never got back to me.
I know they are busy working, so that's why I emailed them, so they can answer when they get a few minutes.
I guess if you're serious about a new partially completed boat, a trip to maine would be in order. Visit a few shops, eat some good food and have a few cold ones!

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands

They have some digital phone service that sucks....when I worked there it was intermittent at best and half the time it doesn't record the message...I was just down there this morning...try calling them in the morning prob around 830-9am eastern time....that will be your best bet...or shoot em an email...the phone was working today cuz someone called while I was down there...if ya cant get em the first time just keep trying back every once in a while or something you will get one of them eventually

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Yep, 4 cyl, 160hp @ 2300 but it weighs about 1400lbs w gear.

I looked @ and sea trial a 22 Webbers Cove a couple years back.
Had a 5.7 Mercruiser, neat little boat.

Figure the 4 cyl John Deere weighing about 450 lbs. more than a V8 gasser.

You'll be carrying around the "extra" weight of two adults installing the Deere versus a "typical V8 gas" or 4 cyl. Yanmar engine.

Back to your topic, the 22 Webbers Cove is a nice little boat.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Been eyeing this gem for a while.. its a nice set up..

22Ft Webbers Cove Downeast Cruiser

Wow! That looks to be a real deal for someone. Just the type of boat I would have jumped at in the past. What ever boat I buy now will likely be my last so I'm determined to have her built new just the way I want her, if I can afford it, but someone should jump on this one right now! Thanks

Top Bottom