SISU 22 project -to stretch or not to stretch?

plyandglass

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Downeaster fans,
New to the site but been a fan of Downeasters for a long time. Just acquired a Sandy victim Sisu 22 ,going to need some chine repair on stbd. side and a new house and shelter. My thoughts are I have always liked the Frost Jonesport look and was thinking that while I'm at it maybe cut the transom off and extend the hull another 4-5' in length.
The boat had an inboard 4 cylinder gas and I am debating to either put a 300 ford 6 or a 292 chevy 6 into her. My thinking is since the engine beds are already set for an inline engine I'd stay skinny to keep motor box narrow.
Not trying to re-invent the wheel here but I feel the beam/ length issue won't be a problem as well as the overhang and I 'm adding chine rails anyway.
Let me know what you guys think , i'm a veteran boatbuilder so it wont end up in the scrap pile ,just think 21'9" is a little stubby for the house/shelter.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I'm not a boatbuilder but 4-5' sounds like a lot to stretch a narrow 22 footer...

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Will be tough to handle the farther you stretch it with a straight inboard unless you intend to extend the shaft etc...

plyandglass

Lieutenant Commander
Sisu 22 stretch

Ok , you guys won out , i got to really looking hard and have decided to NOT TO STRETCH her out. but now I cant decide if I want to put a small block chevy into it or an outboard. hate to ruin the lines of the boat with an outboard hanging out.
what kind of speed can I expect from a 5.7 with i'm assuming a 1.77:1 gear? Not that i'm wanting to go 30 knots but want to cruise at maybe 18-20?
like to put a diesel in but don't want 8 knot cruise speed.

Top Bottom