Sitting Low

Remember When

Ensign
I just purchased a 21 foot Downeast wooden open launch. I just checked on the boat today after being in the water overnight. The stern sits very low and with the current running strong against the stern water is just over the drain holes, level with the upper deck. This is a self bailing boat built in maine.

photo.jpg

jrg

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastern 24
Nice hull. I love the tumblehome at the stern. That's a pretty common occurrence and you can fix it many ways. Quickest and easiest is to add a little weight to the bow. If you have an anchor locker, add a bunch of chain to your anchor setup or you can even use sandbags. I've found that my boat handles chop a little better with some weight up front.

J

jrg

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastern 24
Brooksie - Love a good debate. In my opinion, the 50-75 lbs that may be needed to get those scuppers above the waterline at rest will be totally unnoticeable when underway and even more so when planing. I'd encourage Remember When to at least try it. The flaps is a good idea too, but not quite as dry as getting them up 1 inch.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Fill a 5 gallon bucket of water and put it up there to check. It weighs about 42lbs. If you bow is not sitting higher then the transom you may have to go another route.

Spence

Commander
I use jerry cans, the handle is handy to tie off. I prefer the neutral buoyancy of water over sand, lead etc

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Brooksie - Love a good debate. .

Me too... People install trim tabs and wonder why they don't do much for them. You must have a bow up attitude to begin with because tabs can only depress the bow not raise it so it is a shame to loose that and maybe end up with a deck that doesn't drain well also. He'll need flaps to back down anyway. Of course he could turn the boat around in his slip so current would be on the bow...

Remember When

Ensign
You are correct, turning the boat around will help me, but the tide changes and it will not be possible (practical) to turn the boat around during each tide. I think I will add a little weight up front, take on a little less fuel (tanks in the back and are full) and install transom flaps over the drains. I also noted today that when the engine is trimmed in the water rather than out of the water the the boat sits lower. Leaving the lower unit in the water will help but not sure I want to do that.

Top Bottom