www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Last edited:

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
I had seen a 13 ROS on CL in SoCo a few months back...it was a 13' self bailer with a 9.9 center console...by the time I had a chance to do anything about it was gone.

If you think about it, a self bailing boat in a center console configuration would be perfect and you wouldn't be limited to just using it as a tender (think small pond/lakeboat for out of town trips)

The molds are still out there and his brother has them....

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
Boats 005.jpg

Boats 003.jpg I am building this 10' pram as a tender for a larger DE or Novi cruiser (yet to be purchased).
It is the Nahant/swampscott style pram used by Lobstermen for boats at a mooring. Good for chop and can hold a lot of weight.
Mine is modified on interior for my intended use. I am adding 2 floatation compartments/ seats aft with 6" screw in hatches. a bilge pump will be added. Forward, I added a seat/casting platform/ storage area with a fold down locker door for anchor and line.
Hull construction is 3/8 Fir marine ply, with 3/4" Bow and stern transoms. compartment seats are 3/4" as well. Center seat is a 2x10 PT piece. Gunwhales are 4 layers of 3/8" x 3" wide (titebond 3 glued and bronze ring nail fastened) for a rugged side! The interior seams are glassed with 6" tape and epoxy fillet and coated. Exterior has same tape on seams and whole exterior is covered with 10 OZ cloth in epoxy. Obviously this is over built to my requirements. I wanted something that would be able to tough it out at ANY town landing. This will eat yuppie inflatables for lunch.
The build isn't complete yet, I have the nice fabric/foam gunwhale guard from Hamilton Marine , yet to be installed. Power will be a 15 or 20 HP Tohatsu O/B.
I used to buy my marine ply from Boulter when I lived in Mass. I now live in Jacksonville, Fl and the marine ply is much cheaper! The plans came from a guy in Cohassett, mass. I can't remember his name , but he used to build skiffs and sell them on Boston Craigslist.
His skiffs were nice but his plans sucked! Way overly complicated.
I wanted this skiff to be able to haul 2 people, 2 dogs and 2 bicycles in one trip from the mother ship...... Now if I can just find the mother ship.

Just found this sit a couple of weeks ago, and really enjoy it. I Knew Capt Dave (Relentless) and his wife from 25+ years ago and have talked to him and other voices from my past.
Hopefully I can load these pics!

Boats 005.jpg

Boats 003.jpg

val273

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Miss my Seabird 23....
Go the extra foot and consider a Carolina skiff 13 footer...flat, stabile, self-bailing...indestructible....

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
View attachment 14679

View attachment 14680 I am building this 10' pram as a tender for a larger DE or Novi cruiser (yet to be purchased).
It is the Nahant/swampscott style pram used by Lobstermen for boats at a mooring. Good for chop and can hold a lot of weight.
Mine is modified on interior for my intended use. I am adding 2 floatation compartments/ seats aft with 6" screw in hatches. a bilge pump will be added. Forward, I added a seat/casting platform/ storage area with a fold down locker door for anchor and line.
Hull construction is 3/8 Fir marine ply, with 3/4" Bow and stern transoms. compartment seats are 3/4" as well. Center seat is a 2x10 PT piece. Gunwhales are 4 layers of 3/8" x 3" wide (titebond 3 glued and bronze ring nail fastened) for a rugged side! The interior seams are glassed with 6" tape and epoxy fillet and coated. Exterior has same tape on seams and whole exterior is covered with 10 OZ cloth in epoxy. Obviously this is over built to my requirements. I wanted something that would be able to tough it out at ANY town landing. This will eat yuppie inflatables for lunch.
The build isn't complete yet, I have the nice fabric/foam gunwhale guard from Hamilton Marine , yet to be installed. Power will be a 15 or 20 HP Tohatsu O/B.
I used to buy my marine ply from Boulter when I lived in Mass. I now live in Jacksonville, Fl and the marine ply is much cheaper! The plans came from a guy in Cohassett, mass. I can't remember his name , but he used to build skiffs and sell them on Boston Craigslist.
His skiffs were nice but his plans sucked! Way overly complicated.
I wanted this skiff to be able to haul 2 people, 2 dogs and 2 bicycles in one trip from the mother ship...... Now if I can just find the mother ship.

Just found this sit a couple of weeks ago, and really enjoy it. I Knew Capt Dave (Relentless) and his wife from 25+ years ago and have talked to him and other voices from my past.
Hopefully I can load these pics!

There is a guy who makes those here in Ma too. He might be out of Weymouth, I haven't seen his ads on Craigs list in a few months though.

His might be solid glass.

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
The guy I'm talking about is in Mass. He lives in Cohassett, but was making them in Weymouth. He is no longer in business. His name was david and I can't remember his last name. When I was up there last November, he took me to the town wharf where he had built a white one for a lobsterman.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
The guy I'm talking about is in Mass. He lives in Cohassett, but was making them in Weymouth. He is no longer in business. His name was david and I can't remember his last name. When I was up there last November, he took me to the town wharf where he had built a white one for a lobsterman.

Well, I didn't want to go that far but David was in my class.

They are definitely a nice skiff!

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Ronnie

You ever make a decision on this. I'm in the same boat my tender is waterlogged. Was considering a ten or twelve aluminum new but now interested in the water tender 9.4 from West Marine hoping the Port Supply discount brings it to under 500. Max hp of 5.

Of course the beast pictured above would fit my application perfectly between using as a tender and going up the many creeks in the Neponset

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Go the extra foot and consider a Carolina skiff 13 footer...flat, stabile, self-bailing...indestructible....

I would look into this maybe too. I am going to buy a 16' J series kit boat and it is dirt cheap. Can be set up any way you want as well.

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
Those Salty 8' and 10' look dangerous to me. Seems to me they would go out from under you getting from the mother ship into that dainty wineglass. Give me flat bottom, wide and sturdy. The Carolina skiff would be my choice.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I was looking at the 14 footer which looked pretty stable to me. I've seen plenty of overturned dinghys. Not sure how small I'd go.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Recieved a quote for a new 16' carolina skiff J16 for just over $3000 if that makes any difference. Thats a brand new hull with 2 seats. I was amazed at the cost.

Beacon Point Marine in Greenwich, CT of all places (things are not usually cheap there).

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Just bought my Carlolina skiff finally. Dealer found a scratched one at another dealers' yard and lowered the price even more. Think I paid just over $1800 for the hull. I added seats and some other stuff so cant remember the exact # was but it was a great deal. Boat is self bailing which is the real reason why I wanted this boat. Will get a 25 or 40 tiller Merc O/B.

See Dominic through Beacon Point Marine in Cos Cob, CT.

They have a 12' model Ronnie...

Last edited:
Top Bottom