slime eels

jennig

Ensign
Was wondering if anyone on here knows much about slime eeling. No one in my area does it and I've been trying to figure out another fishery besides lobster to do.

monktails

Lieutenant
Wherer are you located? Anywhere in GOM has slime eels hardest part is catching the right size and not getting over burdened with small stuff.

paddyboy

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
30'young bros.(sold)38'young bros.
I slime Eeled in the gom in the late 1990s, fishing out of Gloucester and Portland 65' steel offshore lobsterboats and a great cast of characters

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Shit work and your fishing in the dragger bottom so its hard to win but not that hard to pick up on good luck go get em

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
They live in the mud then ?? how deep do they fish for them ?? Always wondered if we have them in prince william sound. Were can i get the heads they use in the barrels for them ??
P4250295.jpg

P4250295.jpg

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
They dont look like that in the cod end steve full of dogs and other shit the guys that fish round here are 50 fa+

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
They dont look like that in the cod end steve full of dogs and other shit the guys that fish round here are 50 fa+

50 is easy to find in the sound, no draggers to deal with, so do they like real soft mud ??sand or what. Bait with fish racks/herring ?? I got some barrels and just want to see whats on the bottom in the mud.

samhop

Lieutenant Commander
Steve

fwiw

its a global unregulated fishery

50+ mud, haring bait intensive, haul them gently if you bang them around they jell up more. let them soak long enough for most of the small ones to leave the pot, and you need a buyer, its a Korean combo leather / food market and they call the shots. a couple of years ago it started going frozen at sea. now to get in i think you basically need a high capacity plate freezer. the guys i have talked to about it are related to buyers and told me. "freeze time is the biggest limiter and you need at sea block frozen product that is the right size."
not something i would do unless i had a freezer boat and needed something to do with it.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve

fwiw

its a global unregulated fishery

50+ mud, haring bait intensive, haul them gently if you bang them around they jell up more. let them soak long enough for most of the small ones to leave the pot, and you need a buyer, its a Korean combo leather / food market and they call the shots. a couple of years ago it started going frozen at sea. now to get in i think you basically need a high capacity plate freezer. the guys i have talked to about it are related to buyers and told me. "freeze time is the biggest limiter and you need at sea block frozen product that is the right size."
not something i would do unless i had a freezer boat and needed something to do with it.

I'm not thinking about selling them more curious if they are here in any amounts. I know a korean business guy who might be able to dig up a market for me if i even think about fishing them. Then there is our fish and game dept to deal with:confused: real pain in the asses.

Cookie

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
need a big boat with crane/ big mast &boom Big mess stinks nasty

Latest Posts

Top Bottom