Slush tank / ice tank

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Another topic for help with. Don't know if I will be replacing my slush tank when I do deck, BUT, my existing one does not keep ice for any time at all. maybe insulatation problem, I don't know. If anyone would like to help with this topic(Slush tank)please jump in with instruction/help/idea's...whatever.....regards Tomy

Last edited:

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Watching all your posts here, pretty interesting stuff... Can I ask what type of boat this is in, any pictures?

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
slush tank

Tomy,did wayne finish your boat or andy from cape island boats...when wayne made my tank...i had to redo the insulation because they didnt put a piece on the bottom...that would cause the ice to melt very fast ...the hardest part of the job of reglassing new foam in ...is the drain

31jcptown

Commander
Boat Make
91 31 JC P-Town
had the same issue in my 31JC box so I use 1 of those silver tuna bags that the buyers give you to line the bottom of the box and ice stays for 2days

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
been awile for this topic...
MD! TY for reply...can you tell me how you delt with your Drain?

31. thanks for the info....maybe thats the way to go.....insulated bag material..

Saw tunaorlater's box on another page.....looked good, but mine must be under deck.

I bring this back up now cause deck is up and all the issues are/will come up. thank you. Tom

Last edited:

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Insulation

Tom,

You are most likely loosing heat through the engine room bilge which may be under the box where your shaft runs through. with decks up you should be able to get a good look at the entire build and if sides are well insulated maybe you can place in a 2" piece of insulation in bottom and glass a piece of composite or marine plywood tight over that. You may loose a little space but hold ice. Otherwise I like the insulated bag on bottom idea.

Tom,you also just gave me a great idea, I have a storage box on forward starboard side holds soap, bleach, bilge cleaner, junk, more junk etc. I need to cut it away to remove my fuel tank and it does make a great seat for those older anglers we get on board. I may convert this to an insulated box to hold ice or just remove it and place one of those high end coolers like an Icy Tek style there. This will free up some space on deck and still provide me with a spot for ice.

Dave

Dave

Last edited:

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
TY Dave. Small bulkhead on forward part of "hold" is very poorly done. Basicly no insulatation to speak of. I do Believe engine heat is killing my ice. Will get some pics up pretty soon. Nice to have your's inside today eh? (rain);)

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
What I did for the drain is run 1.5in pvc in the 2in insulation board foward into the engine room. Then it is pumped overboard with a diaphram pump. 3/8 plywood is used over the insulation to give it strangth on the bottom only. Make sure you used a screen over the drain so no hooks go into the pump if you go that way.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
The fish hole will ate the first load of ice but once it is cold it will keep ice for a week. The hatch in the bottom is insulated as is the bottom and there is a drain in the bottom to a diaphram pump. The fish hole is 11'-5" long, 2'-5"wide, and 2'-7'' deep with pen boards. We can get 1600 lbs. of ice aft of the pen boards and 800 lbs. of ice forward of the pen boards.

The first two pictures are of the built and the next two are of the crew packing two rabbits.

DSCN0110.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Frigate and Tuna. thanks to both you guys! Quick dumb question? Does PVC material take to being Glassed in? Epoxy take to it ok? will be using west system. (I know it costs more, but can use down to 35deg.):?:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
The fish hole will ate the first load of ice but once it is cold it will keep ice for a week. The hatch in the bottom is insulated as is the bottom and there is a drain in the bottom to a diaphram pump. The fish hole is 11'-5" long, 2'-5"wide, and 2'-7'' deep with pen boards. We can get 1600 lbs. of ice aft of the pen boards and 800 lbs. of ice forward of the pen boards.

The first two pictures are of the built and the next two are of the crew packing two rabbits.

How do you keep water from going down into the hold and melting your ice? I don't see any way of dogging down the hatch??

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Tomy,

Yes PVC can be glassed. See pictures one and two below. I will defer to Tuna on how it can be done.

steveinak,

Yes some deck water does get to the ice. Look at picture four above. The bottom piece of the hatch sits in a trough. The water that gets to the trough goes aft and then to the bilge. The hatch is about 8 feet long with three inches of insulation glassed in on the bottom from side to side and end to end just inside of the trough. It is heavy and sits fairly tight in it's bracket. From the build, picture three is the hatch and bracket.

I stand corrected on the pictures above, picture three is the crew packing two rabbits. Picture four is another rabbit being packed on top of picture three's rabbits.

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0145.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
I was thinking of buying one of the self contained "shower" drain and discharge systems. let ice melt drain out into Container, and little bildge pump dumps melt overboard. any comments/ideas on that?

Also, noted that hamilton marine sells "tube" strongwell. will probabley use instead of PVC. Going shopping this week for material and get this project rolling.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom