Smart tabs for my little 20 ft dyer

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Looking for some advice on the possible installation of smart tabs on my little 20 ft dyer launch.

It's got a 3 cylinder yanmar with v drive, so the engine weight is down aft. Also my shaft angle is quite severe I stand at a center console mid ships. When I just relaunched it, and took it for a burn with a friend on board, I could feel, and the gps confirmed that I got an extra knot when the passenger sat at the bow, and I stood ahead of the console, therefore weighting the bow down.

I don't want to shift weight, as when a have a few people on board, they tend to sit up forward, and keep the bow well down (often too much).
I emailed the guy at smart tabs and he seems to think his product will work, provided I set the actuator pressure lighter to compensate for my low hp and speed.

So I'm thinking giving these a try, as they are more inexpensive and a quicker install than all out trim tabs. I wouldn't want to shell out the $$ and install time for trim tabs if I'm not happy with them.

If I were to put wedges under the transom, they are permanently doing their job, so when I get guests sitting up forward, the bow would be pushed way down.

All thoughts would be appreciated

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I put the Smart Tabs on my boat and they worked too well. I put the wrong stiffness of actuators since my 80 hp outboard was between two types. I'm going to send the old ones back to the factory and they said they would exchange them as long as they aren't damaged. I put the optional levers on them to beach or trailer it, and they work well. Short money and fairly easy install. I went with stainless steel and they will need zincs.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I put the Smart Tabs on my boat and they worked too well. I put the wrong stiffness of actuators since my 80 hp outboard was between two types. I'm going to send the old ones back to the factory and they said they would exchange them as long as they aren't damaged. I put the optional levers on them to beach or trailer it, and they work well. Short money and fairly easy install. I went with stainless steel and they will need zincs.
That is my concern. That my light boat and low hp will not be able to push the tabs up

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
They are designed to go up when you are on plane and then act as active stabilizers. At slow speeds they will drag, I'm going to try 40 lbs this time.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
What did you start with Eastporter...?

I put the fin on my outboard. If this doesn't take care of my porpoising problem I am going to get trim tabs. Obviously the simpler the better and these seem fairly simple.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
What did you start with Eastporter...?

I put the fin on my outboard. If this doesn't take care of my porpoising problem I am going to get trim tabs. Obviously the simpler the better and these seem fairly simple.

60 lbs but way too stiff for my boat

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
So you always have sixty pounds of downward force from the tranny forward...How big were your tabbies in particular

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Thanks man appreciate it. If you could do it all over again would you keep smart tabs or go over to hydraulic

I'll update you after the new actuators are installed. They will last a couple of years and then will need to be replaced at a small cost. They get the bow down quickly and now looking to ease up the bow. Nitrogen gas and rubber boots only last so long in a salt water environment.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Keep us posted.

One more thing. If ya beach the boat what do you do, release them or something?
I'm on a mud flat and hence they'll be seeing mud twice a day.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
A friend of mine put them on his 23 Rinker i/o. And made a huge difference in getting the boat up and out of the water. The only thing they dont help with is if a guy(myself) walks from one side of the boat to the other.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Keep us posted.

One more thing. If ya beach the boat what do you do, release them or something?
I'm on a mud flat and hence they'll be seeing mud twice a day.

Install PR500 levers from the factory, mounted correctly they allow you to put the tabs up and level with the bottom of the hull. I beach mine with no problems.

Top Bottom