Snow books.

Rand Peck

Lieutenant
As many are here I’m a fan of Edward Rowe Snow, love his stories and have visited many of the lighthouses that he has written about in our boat. Here are just a few of his books that I’ve collected and enjoyed on snowy winter evenings in my reading chair. These are all first editions. The Romance of Boston Bay, 1944. Famous Lighthouses of New England, 1945. A Pilgrim Returns to Cape Cod, 1946 and Pirates and Buccaneers of the Atlantic Coast, 1944. They’re easy to find on Amazon, but much more fun to find searching through the shelves of musty old bookstores. I’ll start in search of ERS’s books and find other authors of New England history that interst me as well. The collection just seems to grow. ersnow.jpg

Dav Rio

Lieutenant
First Name
Dave
Been a long time, but I spent many hours enjoying his writings

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
22-ft. Tripp Angler inboard
Attended one of his lectures in my hometown with a couple of my buddies when we were teenagers. Kept us out of trouble for one night, anyway.

EDIT: And, the lecture was well-worth listening to, followed up by the opportunity to go up on the stage and examine a number of marine artifacts Edward Rowe Snow had acquired and talk with him about them.

Last edited:

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Edward Rowe Snow not only was a historian and author he took over the Flying Santa program for many years. When I was first stationed at Coast Guard Station Point Allerton in Hull I remember he visited the station in 1980 as Flying Santa. Today the program is a 501.3c volunteer group carrying on the tradition that started in 1929 out of Rockland, ME by Capt William Wincapaw dropping gifts to CG members and families at lighthouses. This year there are 26 stops from Jonesport, ME to Jones Beach, NY with Santa delivering gifts to over 900 children whose mom or dad are in the Coast Guard. As a mater of fact the first flight was yesterday from Jonesport to Portsmouth Harbor CG.

The helicopters are donated and the biggest expense about 15K annually is for the purchase of toys. To learn more about the history and or make a donation you can go to the Friends of Flying Santa
website where their are excellent historical and current photos of the flights.

Dave

Crusty Coastie

Commander
Edward Rowe Snow not only was a historian and author he took over the Flying Santa program for many years. When I was first stationed at Coast Guard Station Point Allerton in Hull I remember he visited the station in 1980 as Flying Santa. Today the program is a 501.3c volunteer group carrying on the tradition that started in 1929 out of Rockland, ME by Capt William Wincapaw dropping gifts to CG members and families at lighthouses. This year there are 26 stops from Jonesport, ME to Jones Beach, NY with Santa delivering gifts to over 900 children whose mom or dad are in the Coast Guard. As a mater of fact the first flight was yesterday from Jonesport to Portsmouth Harbor CG.

The helicopters are donated and the biggest expense about 15K annually is for the purchase of toys. To learn more about the history and or make a donation you can go to the Friends of Flying Santa

Dave
Nice Dave,Semper Paratus,Have a Merry Christmas,Pete

Dav Rio

Lieutenant
First Name
Dave

Dave

Dav Rio

Lieutenant
First Name
Dave
I can’t remember when I read his books, it had to be late 60’s or early 70’s. I was living in CT at that time and it was fascinating. I heard or read about the Christmas Santa, what an experience.
Best wishes from FL

Top Bottom