Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
Were the Sconz and the Claw around while you were still down there? I was just a lil shaver running the galley on Garafano's Cathrine II at that time. They were party boat guys but Sconz was running the Kathy Ann trip fishing scallops when I was down in Barnegat. Don't know what happened to the Claw.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Were the Sconz and the Claw around while you were still down there? I was just a lil shaver running the galley on Garafano's Cathrine II at that time. They were party boat guys but Sconz was running the Kathy Ann trip fishing scallops when I was down in Barnegat. Don't know what happened to the Claw.

How long ago was that ?? I'd see Bobby at the coffee shack in the marina office but i never hung around the party boat docks. The Donofiro brothers(drifter), Bob Pisano( ol salty), Mike Verges(sea witch) and Donny Imbriaco(fiesta) are friends of mine from way back. Its 2 different worlds between the lobster/gillnet guys and the charter/party boat guys around there and when i gillnetted i was the enemy you know we caught all "their" fish :D. Zappo that owned the Brooklyn from Sheepshead Bay was always good sharing info on where the fish were, he'd even make a drift over the nets to sell more jigs !!!

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
How long ago was that ?? I'd see Bobby at the coffee shack in the marina office but i never hung around the party boat docks. The Donofiro brothers(drifter), Bob Pisano( ol salty), Mike Verges(sea witch) and Donny Imbriaco(fiesta) are friends of mine from way back. Its 2 different worlds between the lobster/gillnet guys and the charter/party boat guys around there and when i gillnetted i was the enemy you know we caught all "their" fish :D. Zappo that owned the Brooklyn from Sheepshead Bay was always good sharing info on where the fish were, he'd even make a drift over the nets to sell more jigs !!!

Going back maybe 20+years. That enemy vibe is even stronger now. I remember looking at the "lobster dock" on the way out and thinking that's what I wanted to do. You're though man a lot of those guys looked at the commercial guys as enemies while back in those days for a dock rat to make money we sold the excess bluefish either at the dock or we would take burlap sacks up to the projects in Asbury and yell fresh fish and they would come running! A bit of the pot calling the kettle black, even if you guys had a slammer trip on deck, add together 85+ rods and a few barrels of left overs. I mean I could see, even at that age, that we took just as many if not more and too much went to waste.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Going back maybe 20+years. That enemy vibe is even stronger now. I remember looking at the "lobster dock" on the way out and thinking that's what I wanted to do. You're though man a lot of those guys looked at the commercial guys as enemies while back in those days for a dock rat to make money we sold the excess bluefish either at the dock or we would take burlap sacks up to the projects in Asbury and yell fresh fish and they would come running! A bit of the pot calling the kettle black, even if you guys had a slammer trip on deck, add together 85+ rods and a few barrels of left overs. I mean I could see, even at that age, that we took just as many if not more and too much went to waste.

Sounds like you were starting right about the time i left, i first came to Alaska in 1983 and bought my own boat and permit in 91.

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Howdy Steve, what's your timing look like for the haul?sounds like. A fun trip! Was wondering about the barge, do u ship the boat right on the trailer?
thx Tom

Hi Tom,
Long time no read :D horses must be keeping you busy !! Haul is in planning for next fall. Yup boat stays on trailer and gets chained down on the top of the pile. I'm going to look into the ferry also, found out it makes a run from bellingham to whittier but i'm betting it will be expensive due to the width/length of trailer & boat. It would be a fun trip on the ferry. Hows your boat doing ? in the water yet ? Do you lease your permit or come up and fish it ??

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Hi Steve, yes it's been a crazy summer, I'll spare you all the details, dads been sick, busy busy with horseys. Sad to to say the boat still sitting in hattaras! I'm finally making arrangements to get it to NJ, Brian had given me a phone number to get a trailer built so I'm gonna go ahead with that and haul it north (nj) I'm looking for advice from you guys who have built trailers, axle placement and such? Leased permit, have to fish it next year or I'll lose my mind! At least what's left anyway.....
: )

Dump that boat in the water and run it up !!

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Steve,

Ferry trip is like a mini cruise. When I left Kodiak I took three of them to get home. First one was to Seward and spent a night there to see some of the places we have visited before. The next one might have been the Kendicott from Seward to Juneau with many stops along the way. It was a smooth ride across the gulf. The third one was from Juneau to Bellingham where we pulled in like 0200 and hit the road west through the mountain passes. Now that I am wiser I think I would have grabbed a hotel room for a few hours sleep. Lots of good times in AK especially being on the buoy tender it allowed me to see some pretty cool places all over the state and work buoys in many of them. Nothing like pulling into False Pass where your crew of 53 was larger than the town population.

Dave

Top Bottom