Soft or hard mounts???

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
OK, Im almost at the point where im ready to put my new engine in. Its a 4045 John Deere. Im torn between weather to use soft mounts or to weld up some ridgid ones. I used some soft mounts on my last engine and I did not like them. Any in put?? And can any one reccomend some soft mounts that are not complete pieces of shit???

Capt Rich

Lieutenant
Why hard mount? I'm ready to change my soft mounts this winter.
What about vibration dampening ?
Wouldn't solid mounting create resonance through out the hull?
Just askin!

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
How about alignment on the hard and after splash? Especially in an old boat?

I had an old Luhrs that was way out of alignment after we put it in the water and with hard mounts (that had been installed on land) I would have been cutting/welding. Boat was rotten and poorly done but many boats are too.

Ever have any issues like this with the hard mounts?

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Not hard mounts, but I once had a twin screw deadrise boat w/ 3208's on Barry Controls mounts that was so assed up we had to pull the shafts, run a string to the coupling and re-bed the struts. Lots of times w/ hard mounts, you can shim things up to get it right.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Exactly what I did to my luhrs. Cut off struts, set shafts on gears (it was twin screw) and re-set struts with shafts where they wanted to be. Alignment was perfect. SHit load of work.

Flex mounts were rusted in position haha.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
To the best of my knowledge Hard mounts are still completely adjustable, so Im not sure what you are saying about the cutting/welding. They are just like soft mounts with a large bolt for up and down adjustment, the only difference is that the bolt is rigid rather than floating in rubber.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I think there are lots of ways to do it.

Was under the impression that things were aligned then drilled and bolted in place which is why I never understood them. I must be wrong though.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Hard mounts unless you plan on becoming a harpooner.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I have cushy mounts on my boat and I hate them.....my friend has a boat that Travis's Dad hard mounted a Cummins 400...15 years ago...and the boat is the smoothest boat I have ever bin on......hard or nothing from now on

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I have cushy mounts on my boat and I hate them.....my friend has a boat that Travis's Dad hard mounted a Cummins 400...15 years ago...and the boat is the smoothest boat I have ever bin on......hard or nothing from now on

Got a pic? of the mounts?

Roy-c

Commander
Hard mounts

Definite hard mounts. Get them right and there isn't a vibration problem. One of the guys at our dock put a new Cummins in with soft mounts and a front mounted pto shaft to a clutched pump and when he started hauling traps every time he put a load on the hydraulics the engine vibrated terribly. Hard mounted no problem.

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
What about things like hydraulics and washdown pumps? Can they be stringer mounted with a soft mounted engine? Or, like my Pitts Drive shaft for the hydraulics off the crank in front of the engine? I know they have the universals but will the take engine movement from torque?

Just wondering. How does it work with a soft mounted engine and hard mounted belt or driveshaft driven accessory? Not talking about PTO driven, engine mounted accessory. Won't the torque slack the belt or over torque the short drive shaft?

Roy-c

Commander
Hard mounts

That was the problem with the boat that I was talking about with the New Cummings. The engine was soft mounted and the hydraulic pump shaft driven off of the crank pulley. The u joints on that short driveshaft didn't make up for the movement of the engine under the load of the hydraulics being used

Top Bottom