Solar Charger

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So wasn't sure to post this here or in the engine room. ER probably be more fitting.

I might be moving to a marina that has a crazy charge for transients for dockage, in regards to electricity. I usually always have my charger on.

First off, I'm not looking to keep a bilge pump running but what I would like to do it just give them a "tiny" trickle charge to just keep them conditioned. I do understand their limitations.

I also just learned these panels have lifespans. Anyone have much experience with these or throw any info out?

Thanks...

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
I have 2 X 15 watt battery tender (the brand). Each one goes to 1 8D. THEY WORK. I researched this a while back, battery tender has (at the time) the best charge capability (3 stages). has best warranty 5 years. Panels generally last 20 years. 15w panel generally puts out 1 amp

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
The Battery Tender brand of solar maintenance charger probably does a great job.

But a cheaper solution is to buy a generic 10 watt solar panel (go to eBay or google it) for $20-30. 10 watts won't hurt your batteries even without a controller.

Or buy a bigger panel, say 30-50 watts and add a cheap $30 Morningstar controller. A 30 watt panel will replace the amphours that you use up and your batteries will be fully charged by next weekend.

David

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
I had one with a controller and in the second year it actually started to weaken my batteries.

I am not a fan.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Shawn,A friend has one on a 28 BHM ...because he has no power at the dock and he has no problem topping off his 4D's

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Top Bottom