Some Mitchell Coves

Muscie

Commander
Boat Make
36 Flowers finished by Cape Island, 2014 ; 645 QSM11
Is that 35 a willis beal hull or something else. I am wondering if any one knows anything about a 35 RP for sale in CT. it has a 450hp Cat 3126B
I like the hull, (anyone have an opinion on the Hull lIe. comparison to osmond or Calvin) not sure I like the CAT.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Is that 35 a willis beal hull or something else. I am wondering if any one knows anything about a 35 RP for sale in CT. it has a 450hp Cat 3126B
I like the hull, (anyone have an opinion on the Hull lIe. comparison to osmond or Calvin) not sure I like the CAT.

I'll answer part of your question. The Mitchell Coves are Calvin Beal Jr. designs. Calvin built the plugs, on commission, for David Schlaefer of Bass Harbor. Schlaefer claims that he insisted on certain design features (supposedly more height to the shear forward and another that escapes me at the moment) than Calvin wanted. I've always had a hard time believing that Calvin would accept a limitation of much more than length and beam on a commission without walking but so goes the story. Schlaefer built the MCs in his backyard in an uninsulated shed heated only with a torpedo heater. There were a lot of explanations as to why he and the molds separated but it serves no point to add to that rumor mill (maybe someone else here knows for sure?).

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Mistake

My reference to Bass Harbor was wrong. Schlaefer lives in Bernard. Both Bernard and Bass Harbor are villages within the town of Tremont and they are separated from each other by a body of water called Bass Harbor. I'm no authority on the island and the towns all look alike to me - souvenir shops, miniature golf and tourists.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Travis,why do they do the skeg that way??there looks like there is cuts where the stern bearing bolts up..SORRY I MISSED WHERE YOU ANSWERED THAT>>ALREADY

Last edited:

Linesiders

Lieutenant Commander
Downeaster, or anyone else that can answer...

Are Mitchell Coves still being built? If so, who builds them now? When did David Schlaefer stop building them. Did he make a quality boat. My understanding of the name was that its one of the best out there, just an assumption from what I've heard. Appreciate any insight given. Thanks

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Downeaster, or anyone else that can answer...

Are Mitchell Coves still being built? If so, who builds them now? When did David Schlaefer stop building them. Did he make a quality boat. My understanding of the name was that its one of the best out there, just an assumption from what I've heard. Appreciate any insight given. Thanks

the 32 and 35 Mitchell Coves are really enjoyed by there owners and "coveted" by many who want one.

The Mitchell Coves are dam nice DEs just like most all the other Calvin Beal designs.

Tumblehome

Lieutenant Commander
The 35 MC is a great hull. One of my buds has lobstered with this hull for 15+ years now. I have stearned on it, chunked GBF's on it, and raced on it (74 series volvo). Great all around boat. He got a bare hull from Bernard, and Bruce Farrin and Sons did the finish work. She is still going strong, with a new 375 JD under the floor.

daryl_steaming.jpg

Top Bottom