some nice looking bhms

moetuna

Commander
I like the bhm 28. Many for sale fall into my price range. I just can't see paying upwards to 60000 for an 1980's - 90 year boat. I mean what will that boat be worth in 5 years ? 10 years ? Am I all wet ? I would appreciate opinions from you guys, thanks.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Parker

Ensign
price

There are a lot of listings out there trying to cash in on the "DE thing" that is going on right now. As some stated before, the price is what the buyer is willing to pay.

I agree. Look at the Huntley, I think a 2005 Duffy 31 on yachtworld . It started out at what 150?? and sold for what 89 or less??. A lot of those boats on yachtworld with unrealistic prices have been there a looong time.

moetuna

Commander
So, how long has this "DE" thing with over inflated prices been going on ?

duxbait

Captain
So, how long has this "DE" thing with over inflated prices been going on ?

I think its something that has been going on in the used boat market as a whole for a few years now. Almost every single time the seller does not receive asking price, and often doesn't plan to. The price seems to be a point where you can start negotiations. If you see a boat you like, go check it out and maybe make an offer. You may get a call a week later from the seller saying he wants to talk more about the price...

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I like the bhm 28. Many for sale fall into my price range. I just can't see paying upwards to 60000 for an 1980's - 90 year boat. I mean what will that boat be worth in 5 years ? 10 years ? Am I all wet ? I would appreciate opinions from you guys, thanks.

I am about $40k into a remodel of an '84 Sisu 30. Probably half the guys here would say I am all wet and the other not but it showed me that the $50k-$80k range is decent money for boat with a good powerplant. Especially with a diesel. The rest can be changed, fixed, upgraded or stripped to suit your needs but a good hull and engine at $50k for a 30-35 boat IMO is usually a good deal. At least based on what I have learned. Also, you might find a killer deal on a boat today that will need repowering in a couple years and should be careful not to go down that road (again IMO)- I would wait for a good combo and avoid the repower as it is big bux$.

Worst part is that all boats have someone elses problems and whatever the seller has decided to hide from you.....

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Yes- paid $15k for it which IMO was an amazing deal. Running although with 2100 hrs on a Chrysler 318 but it was fully functional aside from the heat exchange being clogged with 3 generations of impeller blades:(...

Hull has maybe 6 stress cracks and all original gel coat that still has a shine.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
inflated prices

look up the price of a new boat 40' , $360-370,000 . just for a basic lobster boat . I could not justify that much money, business wise where I fish, so the used market is driven buy the new market prices as always and with everything in general.

Ditchdigger

Rear Admiral
Old BHMs

Go buy an old Corvette or Charger from the Glory years in decent shape. What will you pay for one of those ? The Classics will always be Classics. The rest will fall by the wayside and be forgotten. Bought a 31' Bertram 25 years old from original owner. Paid double the price he paid for it. Glad to do it. Sold it for more than I paid.
There is an ass for every seat. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. J.M.O. !

Top Bottom