Soundown question

RAMPAGE88

Commander
I'm ready to install soundown to quiet things down a bit & my question is which install to go with. I'm considering doing what is on the fine vessel in this pic, boxing the powerplant in with sounddown walls. I have 3" thick panels to work with. I'm also considering instead of that install, covering fore & aft eng room bulkheads & underside of cabin deck & leaving the engine open to the entire area. Any input would be much appreciated. BTW, The boat is a 32' H&H with a solid mounted ISUZU 260hp. Thanks in advance, Rick

IMG_0448.jpg

Last edited:

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
In my case, I was able to insulate the entire overhead in the engine space including hatches with 2 layers of 1" lead/foam plus a single layer on the bulkheads. I had great results.
I think the lead/foam walls are a great idea too & would save a lot of material. Maybe a combination of the 2. Bulkheads permanent, sides removable.
If I were doing removable walls, I would have some kind of tracks that they slid into and seals on top and bottom and make sure your air intake is piped in. Could be less work, could be more.
Even a small opening into the untreated space can make a huge difference as lots of sound will go through a small opening.

RAMPAGE88

Commander
Thanks for your input Brooksie, much appreciated. While were at it, has anyone on here ever used Silent Runnings sound dampening paint?

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Thanks for your input Brooksie, much appreciated. While were at it, has anyone on here ever used Silent Runnings sound dampening paint?

Yes, I have. Coated my lazerett area to keep down prop noise. COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE waste of money. IMO

RAMPAGE88

Commander
Again, thanks Brooksie.....I have the opportunity to get it cheaper than bilgekote & figured I would paint bilge & stringers with it thinking it might add to sound deadening & if nothing else, freshen up the area. Bill D, I assume you have had a negative experience with it as well?

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
If you box that thing up real tight w/ soundown, you are going to trap a lot of heat. Something to consider.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Again, thanks Brooksie.....I have the opportunity to get it cheaper than bilgekote & figured I would paint bilge & stringers with it thinking it might add to sound deadening & if nothing else, freshen up the area. Bill D, I assume you have had a negative experience with it as well?

Maybe it will do something for you but I would use bilge paint. The "Silent Rumming" goes on rough & porous and will be a pita to clean. It may not stand up to oil & AF either.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
I'm ready to install soundown to quiet things down a bit & my question is which install to go with. I'm considering doing what is on the fine vessel in this pic, boxing the powerplant in with sounddown walls. I have 3" thick panels to work with. I'm also considering instead of that install, covering fore & aft eng room bulkheads & underside of cabin deck & leaving the engine open to the entire area. Any input would be much appreciated. BTW, The boat is a 32' H&H with a solid mounted ISUZU 260hp. Thanks in advance, Rick

Rick, wrap the exhaust too !

IMG_0447.jpg

Cfood

Lieutenant
In my case, I was able to insulate the entire overhead in the engine space including hatches with 2 layers of 1" lead/foam plus a single layer on the bulkheads. I had great results.
I think the lead/foam walls are a great idea too & would save a lot of material. Maybe a combination of the 2. Bulkheads permanent, sides removable.
If I were doing removable walls, I would have some kind of tracks that they slid into and seals on top and bottom and make sure your air intake is piped in. Could be less work, could be more.
Even a small opening into the untreated space can make a huge difference as lots of sound will go through a small opening.

Brooksie,
Was there an advantage of 2 1" layers over 1 2" layer?

Top Bottom