Southern California offshore fishing

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Some of you following the 2012 38 WESMAC commercial build have asked what the commercial guys out on southern CA waters fish for?

His one example. "Squid" by the 1000s of tons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sRtbLyxnMO8

Very very good money was made this night. The haul was upwards of 20,000 lbs of squid. The squid will be around for a while

The boat in the picture and video attached lighting up the waters is the "Outer Banks", Tony Athens brother's boat that is a modified 41 Glaspec that Tony and his brother trailered out as a bare hull from Maine to CA many years ago and "built it out" west coast style and the "Seaboard Way".

FWIW, Bill D

Good Float.jpg

41 Glas Spec.jpg

offshore31

Captain
Bill

What do you mean by "west coast style"?

Joe

p.s. are you going to be down at the boat tomorrow? I want to drop off your photo tach.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Cool. All that gear and rigging reminds me of Donnie Braddick's Jarvis Newman. Big Fishing on a little boat.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Thought longline gear was banned in California waters?

WH,

I don't know if long line gear is now banned of the coast of CA.

I do know that the daytime picture of the boat is maybe 6-7 years old.

btw, the boat looks the same today and you could serve a formal dinner in the engine room without getting dirty or grease on yourself.

here's a picture from last night's squid action.....another BIG night.

Hopefully the squid fishing will stay like this until the quota closes out which will be soon

20130627_230750.jpg

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Its been about 8 years since I lived in San Diego at that time longline fleet (what was left) had gone to Hawaii. There was quite a few light boats in Tuna Harbor and at Driscol's then. Its really cool to see the kinda numbers they draw up!

Living next to an ocean my whole life I can ONLY imagine living in the middle of this great country with no ocean close by.
You are near one of the BIG rivers correct ??

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
Living next to an ocean my whole life I can ONLY imagine living in the middle of this great country with no ocean close by.
You are near one of the BIG rivers correct ??

Its horrible, especially when I grew up 1 block from the Raritan Bay! In a weird way it showed me how much I took it for granted and gave me a better appreciation for the Ocean. I'm about five minutes the Cuyahoga and 40 or so from Lake Erie but its in no way shape or form any form of substitute. 5 years out here is enough though, I've had it.

Top Bottom