speaking of spray rails ..............

yanmar

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
I am trying to increase speed on my Sisu 26 so i will have the bottom sandblasted and redo the hull . Suggestions on fairing compound , barrier coat and bottom paint will be gladly accepted . Now my question of topic is two fold . First i seem to take a lot of spray over the bow and seems like the molded spray rail is not sufficent . I don't have my cabin stuffed with a lot of crap so i don't think it is a weight issue . Second i was hoping to use a spray rail to get lift to increase speed . It was suggested to me by the marina owner that they have used the smart rail system with no fastners with great success . I'm a little leary because i have never seen it mentioned on this site . I am definitly open to suggestions and opinions to what to use , placement and length . Thanks Dennis

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Your 26 Susi is a very fine hull. They are also fully cored. Attaching spray rails in an area of such high pressure water force will be hard to keep the water from creeping into the mounting holes. If you plan on using PVC with thru bolted hardware you will have a hard time decoring around each mounting hole. That is most likely why Susi molded in the rail.

I would there for consider the smart rails so as not to effect the integrity of the hull.

Nothing look better however that the PCV Rails.

If you plan on PCV I would dry mount the complete job. Next disassemble and then seal each mounting hole with a good epoxy sealer. On the remount I have found that bedding the PCV rails in 5200 material works great. I snapped a rail once and even after all the mounting screws were removed it took a lot to break the PVC rail free.
Lastly if PVC is used I also like to fill the counter sunk mounting bolts with black of white 5200. This also helps to keep any water out.

Lastly always block your PVC rails when hualing out & splashing

Captlvb

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.missbarnegatlight.com
Boat Make
235 Kencraft
Dennis

My brother and I have a set on our Kencraft center console. They helped our efficency and pushed the spray down a little, but would bet you will see better results due to the hull design of the Sisu. We had Grants do the install for us as we are right in Forked River as well. Boat is still in if you want to take a look or a ride. We are up near the Elks Club.

blinsquirrel

Lieutenant Commander
smart rail

I installed the "smart rail" on my 30' Sisu about 8 years ago...they are just as solid as the day i put them on the boat. mounted them just below the molded strake on the bow. Does a great job keeping the spray off the windshield. I thought about using the pvc rails from hamilton marine...but i was nervous about potential water intrusion into the core....very difficult to de-core and through bolt the pvc rails on my boat. The install was pretty straight forward with the "smart rail."

yanmar

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
Dennis

My brother and I have a set on our Kencraft center console. They helped our efficency and pushed the spray down a little, but would bet you will see better results due to the hull design of the Sisu. We had Grants do the install for us as we are right in Forked River as well. Boat is still in if you want to take a look or a ride. We are up near the Elks Club.
Thanks for the comments , My boat is over at Grants and it was Greg who i spoke to about the rails . Billy Gales Tripp is over there too with the rails on it and i must say you would never know they weren't bolted thru . Dennis

yanmar

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
I installed the "smart rail" on my 30' Sisu about 8 years ago...they are just as solid as the day i put them on the boat. mounted them just below the molded strake on the bow. Does a great job keeping the spray off the windshield. I thought about using the pvc rails from hamilton marine...but i was nervous about potential water intrusion into the core....very difficult to de-core and through bolt the pvc rails on my boat. The install was pretty straight forward with the "smart rail."
Did you run the rails to the stern ? If so did you get good lift and speed increase ? Thanks Dennis

blinsquirrel

Lieutenant Commander
I only ran one section of rail in the bow. Did not notice any speed/lift increase. I saw a 26' a few years back that ran PVC rails from stem to stern...spray/lifting rails...owner said he picked up some speed...he also replaced the stock fiberglass rudder with a streamline stainless one.

Roy G

Lieutenant
I installed smart rails (10' I think) on my 26' Shamrock 11 yrs ago. Work fantastic,and still stuck there. Roy

Top Bottom