Spearfishing for BFT?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Id it legal to spearfish for BFT in the United States? The captain who used to run my boat down south asked me about it last week when I went to visit and I wasnt sure.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
ugh its bays tuna only under a charter permit. No sale allowed. NMFS takes all the fun out of life!

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
The only logical way to do it would be to buoy them IF it were legal :?

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
No spearing bluefin
All other tuna can be shot with a speargun

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
The gun shoots the spear, the line off the spear searches from the gun and is connected to a float. Diver is out of the loop. Lat time this came up for approval they didn't allow blue fin. I had all the gear to shoot one, was an avid spear fisherman at the time. Anyway if someone shoots one it will be bad for that guy. All other tuna are fair game though

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
The gun shoots the spear, the line off the spear searches from the gun and is connected to a float. Diver is out of the loop. Lat time this came up for approval they didn't allow blue fin. I had all the gear to shoot one, was an avid spear fisherman at the time. Anyway if someone shoots one it will be bad for that guy. All other tuna are fair game though

NMFS need to get their head out of their ass. A US diver cant shoot a BFT yet the Japs can rape the ocean on a daily basis. Its absurde

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
As I understand it they fear it being used as a powered harpoon,
But they don't work for crap out of the water.

easyridersfd

Lieutenant
There is a book named last of the blue water hunters that is pretty good reading its about spear fishing in the South Pacific

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
Previous posts are correct, bft not allowed. I made inquiry as I know freedivers very capable of taking a fish this size with a speargun and they wanted to set up a hunting trip with me. Was first told I had to change category to harpoon, then told not was not allowed. I gave up looking into it and we just don't try for them.

To hunt blue water game this size you do use a surface float behind the gun, which is typically a good sized gun with multiple bands and a heavy shaft spear. I have seen divers come up with some very large fish, but it takes skill to do it right. A well placed shot and they are stone dead and don't fight much at all. A poor shot and things are very different...

Top Bottom