Spectra or mono for GS main line?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Jerry Brown makes 1000lb white hollow core spectra. Is this a viable option for a main line?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Should be an interesting debate...

I think for the price I will stick to mono, also for the abrasion resistance and how easily it is to change out.

I imagine you only mean for the backing which to me, still cheaper to fill it with the larger diameter mono and replace...

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Zero stretch with a hydraulic bandit reel sounds like a bad idea to me.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Hey, you could use the plastic spool, lol.

Cr bound

Lieutenant
Jerry Brown makes 1000lb white hollow core spectra. Is this a viable option for a main line?

Yes... I would say that as a backing Hollow core will be an excellent option. At some point you need to use mono to get some stretch. If it were my set up I would use heavy 3.0 mono and transition to 2.0 mono. Then use a swivel to connect my 2.0 mono to my spectra via a spliced loop in the spectra to an offshore swivel knot.

I think between your Break away and the general stress of trolling the stick on the line will lead to alot of break offs in the main line or worse yet equipment failure.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I'm not a greensticker, but 2.0 mono seems light for a mainline. That's like 400#.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I'm not a greensticker either, but I don't think the clips would stay in position at all on Spectra- toooo slippery. And Spectra will screw you up way worse than mono in case of some kind of catastrophic failure. Shit will cut you in half

Cr bound

Lieutenant
I'm not a greensticker either, but I don't think the clips would stay in position at all on Spectra- toooo slippery. And Spectra will screw you up way worse than mono in case of some kind of catastrophic failure. Shit will cut you in half

I think if you made spliced spectra loops in the main line you could connect you drops to that.

Spectra is hollow will not cut you like braid which is solid.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I think if you made spliced spectra loops in the main line you could connect you drops to that.

Spectra is hollow will not cut you like braid which is solid.

Won't cut you my ass. Spectra is braid, braid is spectra. Some is hollow and some is solid. I'm about to go THT here. :mad:

Top Bottom