Spiny Dogfish Yellow Dildo ???

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
well, i hope you didnt cut it up to eat it..... but yeah I've never seen that before.. those things are pretty gross in general and that doesnt make it any better.

Tunascapes

Commander
I was in a bind once and live lined dogfish babies, just happened to hook a pregnant one. They must have been just about ready to be released into the ocean because they came out swimming. Not sure if this one was in the early stages of pregnancy. Pretty gross no matter how you look at it though.

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
I was in a bind once and live lined dogfish babies, just happened to hook a pregnant one. They must have been just about ready to be released into the ocean because they came out swimming. Not sure if this one was in the early stages of pregnancy. Pretty gross no matter how you look at it though.
yeah when you dog fish your boats filled with the little babies that are alive and they have yellow yolk sacs attacked to them... It takes them up to 2 years for them to be released from the shark...

http://www.marinebiodiversity.ca/shark/english/spinyd.htm

2/3rds down the page and there you go.

Last edited:

Tunascapes

Commander
yeah when you dog fish your boats filled with the little babies that are alive and they have yellow yolk sacs attacked to them... It takes them up to 2 years for them to be released from the shark...

Spiny Dogfish

2/3rds down the page and there you go.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Never really looked into but when you have streaking fish under the boat you have to do what you have to do. Oh and live baby dogs is just a recipe to catch another grown up dog, I guess they eat there own.

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Never really looked into but when you have streaking fish under the boat you have to do what you have to do. Oh and live baby dogs is just a recipe to catch another grown up dog, I guess they eat there own.
Seagulls are a big fan also... There's actually a concern about them being over fished (crazy/who cares) because of how long they take to give birth and how long it takes them to become sexually mature. I personally hope I get close to 80,000 lbs this summer but we will see. can't stand dog fish.

Tunascapes

Commander
Seagulls are a big fan also... There's actually a concern about them being over fished (crazy/who cares) because of how long they take to give birth and how long it takes them to become sexually mature. I personally hope I get close to 80,000 lbs this summer but we will see. can't stand dog fish.
I agree a 100%. I only had a week here a week there last year they were real bad. Definitely fishable for the most part. What is 80,000 worth. 8 to 10k?

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
around 20-30 cents a pound. a little over 9 million pounds came from Ma waters alone last year. I know a lot go over seas but still. Thats a lot of dog fish.

Last edited:

Pedlyr

Captain
Dogfish is probably one of the most utilized species of fish when it comes to processing. I had a fish biz for awhile and one of my salesmen used to work for Seatrade.

The Dogfish backs go to England. The belly flaps to Germany. Chinese like the fins and egg yolks. The skin can go to Korea for wallets.

When you buy those "Sharklage" pills for cancer in the vitamin store or in the back of National Enqiurer, it is ground up dogfish cartilage. Stuff is big money because they have to cook it at low temps to clean it but not destroy the peptides which is the active ingredient.

Haven't met a gillnetter yet who doesn't like dogfishing ...........:rolleyes:

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
wow.. Did not know they were used for all that stuff. I thought it was mostly just food in England

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Dogfish is probably one of the most utilized species of fish when it comes to processing. I had a fish biz for awhile and one of my salesmen used to work for Seatrade.

The Dogfish backs go to England. The belly flaps to Germany. Chinese like the fins and egg yolks. The skin can go to Korea for wallets.

When you buy those "Sharklage" pills for cancer in the vitamin store or in the back of National Enqiurer, it is ground up dogfish cartilage. Stuff is big money because they have to cook it at low temps to clean it but not destroy the peptides which is the active ingredient.

Haven't met a gillnetter yet who doesn't like dogfishing ...........:rolleyes:
The dogs I catch, maybe 30-40 each during our bottom fishing travels get cut up and stuffed in the rec lobster traps.

I guess I'll start harvesting the embyros!!! Dam things will slip right into a bait bag !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom