Split wheelhouse interior layout

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
44 John Williams (stanley)
I just put a down payment on a 42 H&H with a split wheelhouse. The boat is strictly a day boat and not set up for multiple day trips. The interior is super small with the companionway all the way to port and the helm dead center. The helmchair is a removable bulkhead mounted swivel type.

I was wondering if anyone has a semi comfortable set up for a cap and two man crew with a similar wheelhouse arrangement. I plan on fishing multiple day trips offshore. There is currently an unusable(narrow) bench seat running down the port side of the house that has to go. Im thinking of a removable bench seat(daybed) along the aft bulkhead that would span the engine cover. Id still be able to open the cover without moving the bench but it could be easily removed if I needed more access. I love the split wheelhouse and dont want to enclose it. I also dont want to give up any cockpit space so I have to make due with what little interior space I currently have. If anyone has any pics or ideas it would be appreciated. I did a web search but couldnt find much.

Thanks again to those that helped me with the high flyer rack ideas. Great info and pics. Jim

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
That's a palace compared to mine !! but then i'm the only guy on the boat (most of the time) cause i can hardly put up with myself most of the time :grin:.
How about a table with a bench seat on each side that converts into a bunk ?? or a wide bench/couch across the back of the house and a fold down shelf/bunk above it, hinge the upper bunk to fold up out of the way when you don't need it.
20130628_135726[1].jpg

20130728_215338[1].jpg

20130628_135726[1].jpg

20130728_215338[1].jpg

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Woundup Marine thanks for the info ill see if I can find some pics of his wheelhouse.

Steve my house would be perfect if it was just me but havin two over the hill mates that need a place to sit down its not too good. I am leaning toward a wide bench along the back of the house that can be removed while working on the engine.That gives me a third bunk for layovers. That would also work with the helmchair I have.

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Wound up I just saw pics of his 35 with the bench seat. Thats exactly what I needed. I like thats its up high enough for the mates to see out the windows. Should be cheap and easy to fabricate. Thanks.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Woundup Marine thanks for the info ill see if I can find some pics of his wheelhouse.

Steve my house would be perfect if it was just me but havin two over the hill mates that need a place to sit down its not too good. I am leaning toward a wide bench along the back of the house that can be removed while working on the engine.That gives me a third bunk for layovers. That would also work with the helmchair I have.

Yup that sounds good, how about a small table and seats facing each other so they could have a place for the coffee/beer mugs and to eat lunch ?? Hinge table to back wall and make seat removeable ??

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Steve Im going to try and squeeze the table into the focsle which will be the next problem Im into. The focsle only has a v berth and locker. Storage under the vee berth. There is NO room for anything else. My last H&H 42 I had a vee berth, a head with seperate shower and a locker but I had a center companionway with no split wheelhouse so its apples and oranges. Its amazing how much space you lose with the port companionway and center helm. If anyone has pics of a good layout for a tight focsle I wont need to start a new thread. I will post pics of the focsle and see if anyone has any ideas. Would be nice to get a little half ass galley somewhere in here.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Jim small gally down the port and day bunk across the back the glaspec i fished on had day bunk on side and back

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Shawn thats how Im leaning with the daybed across the back and small countertop/galley down port of the wheelhouse. No room for a table. Im pretty sure thats how the Triton is set up. Shes a 42 H&H tuna boat with the same wheelhouse as mine. BTW found a 14 inch stainless hauler so Im good to go there. Thanks.

Top Bottom